Hayward Northstar 1HP pump

snoopy55

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2009
Dothan AL
I have a question about a new lid for the Hayward Northstar 1HP pump. I bought the pump in 2001 and it has a blue o-ring that gets lubed and helps the lid seal after cleaning the skimmer out. This o-ring has cost anywhere from $24 to $33 depending on where you buy it. When my pump begins to lose its prime (reflected by bubbles in the see thru lid) over time it's usually the o-ring that is no longer effective. From the first time I went into a pool store to purchase another one they tell me that it's common for that type of o-ring to be replaced by the owners of the Hayward Northstar pump. I think the most I ever replaced it was 3 times in one year. Pretty pricey if you ask me. The also claim that it was a bad design by Hayward. I went in this past weekend and they showed me the new designed replacement lid for that pump. It came with a t-ring that, according to instructions provided, was supposedly there so that a pressure reading could be checked for a newly installed pump. After the pressure reading you were to remove the t-ring and install the lid. No mention of the old o-ring. Of course this didn't work at all without the o-ring. I went back in to question the store and they said you are now to leave the t-ring in there as an o-ring. It seems to work but I am skeptical. The attached orange tag on the new lid said to remove the t-ring after the pressure check. Does anyone have any info on this new type of lid or similar issues with the blue o-ring?

I have a Northstar with the T-ring gasket. It has the same problem. Air in the basket on low speed and not on high speed. I replaced the gasket, still does the same thing "poor design". The lid comes off pretty easy. I'm going to try a few things this year to tighten it down.

The first day I used the t-ring it sealed pretty well. When I went and checked my pump this morning it had lost it's seal and the water had drained out of the basket. I just don't want to go thru the old blue expensive o-rings again. I think I'll try Hayward to see if they can provide a little more technical support for the new lid and ring. Thanks for your input NJ.

I happen to have one of these as well and if you read the manual, it tells you on the first page that the blue o-ring is used for pressure test only and to remove after testing. This probably did help to seal the lid better.

Try a little plumbers grease on the seal to help seal it. Mine doesn't leak but does squirt a bit of water on shut off but that is normal. The reason they have the o-ring is because this pump lid does not seal well for pressure which is why it will squirt on shut down. But the regular seal should work well when under suction.

For my Northstar, Ive been using some silicone o-ring lube that came with my Pentair trichlor feeder. After every season, I coat the o-ring (along with the inlet and outlet o-rings) in the lube and store in a large zip lock bag. Knock on wood, Ive been on the same o-ring for 4 years.

I know the Northstar gets a lot of bad rep, but (again, knock on wood) Ive had good luck with mine. I dont see a squirt on shutdown, and the only time I have any air in the pump basket is if the pool skimmer basket is full of junk. Normal running you cant even tell the pump is running because the basket is completely full and transparent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.