Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newly Filled Saltwater Pool Needs??

1. Back To Top    #1

Newly Filled Saltwater Pool Needs??

Hey ya'all.
    I just had my pool resurfaced, and it's filling up now. I need to get salt, and other chemicals to get it going. I did this one time before, when I painted it, and went to local chain pool store. I feel like I probably paid way to much, and maybe was sold things I didn't need. So, Im trying to get an idea of what I should really get, and any cheaper routes than a pool store, as I know they mark their stuff way up.
    I filled pool with city water. Im in Boynton Beach, FL is that matters to anyone.
    I have a Hayward salt generator.
    I believe based on my pool size I need about 14 40lb bags of salt.
    What else?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newly Filled Saltwater Pool Needs??

Welcome to TFP!

What was it resurfaced with? Plaster, quartz, pebble? Who is the manufacturer? Usually it is recommended to wait 30 days before adding salt. Did your installer leave directions? Who is responsible for the first 30 days start up?

Please take a few moments to complete the following information so that we can better help you.
    Please add your State to your location in your profile so that it shows up over there <-----. Like mine says TX.
    Please add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Pooldv, I editted my profile just now.
    Diamond brite put on today. I just texted him to ask about salt, and he said wait a few weeks, and start it with chlorine. So in that case, how much chlorine do I need? I never used chlorine in my pool before.
    I am responsible for start up.
    Also, what are popular/good testers?
    Thank you.
    20,000 gallon, IG, Diamond Brite (Newly coated 6/26/16)
    Cartridge filer, generic 1.5hp single speed pump. Hayward saltwater generator.
    Filled from city water.

4. Back To Top    #4

good testers---TF100 in Pool School.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net, it is the best value with the most tests for the money. Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Ok, ask your contractor if there is anything you need to do to for any warranty requirements.

Here is what SGM wants
    http://www.sgm.cc/html_Pool/HomeOwne...chemistry.html

Go here to register your warranty
    http://sgm.smod.us/smodMain.php?sys=pub&pub=wif2

They want stabilizer and chlorine added the 3rd day. Add 30 ppm CYA (in a sock) and 3 ppm the 3rd day, start chlorinating based on 30 ppm, FC/CYA Chart, keep it above minimum. I'd raise CYA to 50 after 2 weeks.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

They put salt in mine after 2 weeks.

30,000 Gallon Pool IG (Pool 18' X 38' / Spa 7' X 7') - Pentair IC40 SWG - (1) Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Pump - Pentair DE FNS-Plus 60 Filter - Pentair Mastertemp 400 Heater - Pentair Easytouch 8 - Pentair Electronic valves - Pentair 5G Color LED Pool/Spa Lights - Pebble Sheen Mini Tahoe Blue - Auto Fill/Over Flow - Taylor K-2006C - Completion 3/2016.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel4t View Post
    ... I never used chlorine in my pool before...
    Yes you have, the SWG creates chlorine from the salt (salt is made up of sodium and chlorine). By adding it manually, you are doing the same thing as the SWG does but without the electricity required to break the chlorine from the sodium.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG