Plumbing to outdoor kitchen

bpricedo

Silver Supporter
May 20, 2012
I have a covered back porch and am planning an outdoor kitchen to be installed there. As luck would have it, my current washer hook up is right on the inside of the wall where I want the outdoor sink to be. I am trying to figure out how to hook up the sink so I can disconnect it in the winter and drain the lines for freezing protection but I don't want to pull the washer out twice a year (disconnecting in fall and reconnecting in spring). Has anyone brought indoor plumbing through a wall for their outdoor kitchen? Any ideas?

I would think if you had access, it would be nice to insert a "Y" and essentially split the water source going to the washer so that you had two paths - one to the washer and one out back to the sink. Each could have a spigot on the end for the hoses to connect or remove from as needed. Of course getting to the water line and inserting a "Y" is easier said than done. :p

If that became too tricky, perhaps run a new water line from an existing spigot already out back to the sink area. Just a thought.

When we installed outdoor shower, we ran a separate hot/cold water lines using PEX (our whole house is plumbed with PEX) from under the house and then had shut-off valves under the house for the shower. We just drilled a hole through the brick to run the PEX to the shower diverter outside with another set of shut-off valves. We just drain each fall and shut off. We are going to do the same for future outdoor kitchen.

Texas Splash, that was my first thought, just put a Y on and connect two sets of hoses. But that is where I would have to pull the washer out and take off the Y and the hoses to the outdoor sink twice a year.

Ksnewman and vermaraj, some type of frost proof shut off would be the way to go. The outside faucets are frost proof but they need an inside intersecting wall to mount in and there is none in this area that would work. I should research if there is another type. Running the lines through the wall and into the kitchen island with a set of frost proof valves there would be awesome if possible. The house is on a slab so very big project to get under the house to change any plumbing.

I do see that you can order frost proof faucets of varying lengths. The ones I have seen are at least a foot long and need a perpendicular intersecting wall to mount in. I found that they come in varying lengths so you can get one just long enough to go through the wall, keeping the valve inside in the heated environment. These I could mount so I can turn them on and off under the sink and disconnect the hoses through the access door under the sink. That should work! I included link I found, note the chart where the varying length valve stems are listed:

http://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/Wall_Faucet_PDF/14CATALOG.pdf

You need to somehow get a drain valve inside that is lower than the sink lines so they can be drained prior to freezing temps. I have a basement so that's how mine are piped. I just open the spicket drain valve at the end of the season and drain into a bucket. I also dump some car window washer fluid in the sink drain which is good to below -20 degree's f. Can get RV stuff too but I have used window washer fluid and been fine.

You need to somehow get a drain valve inside that is lower than the sink lines so they can be drained prior to freezing temps. I have a basement so that's how mine are piped. I just open the spicket drain valve at the end of the season and drain into a bucket. I also dump some car window washer fluid in the sink drain which is good to below -20 degree's f. Can get RV stuff too but I have used window washer fluid and been fine.

I would probably disconnect the lines from the spigot and allow them to drain or blow them out. The frost free silcock will automatically drain the part that could freeze. I am thinking for the sink drain that it may connect into the washer waste line above the trap so I would not need to have another trap outside which would eliminate freezing issues there. But I'll know more about that when we get into it. I have a friend who is a licensed plumber who is going to do the work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.