Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is SWG bad for the heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is SWG bad for the heater?

I left for a few days and had the pool green up on me so I decided to get the chlorine automated. I really like the idea of a SWG since I won't have to worry about dragging chlorine around. I read about rust concerns in SW pool and the only thing I can see that's stainless is the lights and screws in the pool. BUt more importantly the water heater. How do I know if my water heater can handle the salt?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is SWG bad for the heater?

Hi Danniboiz,
    pool heaters normally have stainless or copper pipes. Neither is especially suceptible to saltwater. Especially at the low concentration of our pools. Lots of people here have heaters and SWGs and I dont belive Ive ever read a post about a problem with them together.

The most important thing for you to worry about however, is your pH. Poor pH will eat up a heater in a relatively short amount of time.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Poor pH management is the main cause of heaters corroding, not salt. As long as your SWG is plumbed in AFTER the heater, you'll be fine.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

With those above comments, a SWG is a good choice? Are there better brands than other? I see brand name, Hayward etc... that cost sometime twice of those that aren't the main stream brands. The cell alone cost as much as a new unit of a In the Swim brand for an example. For my 20k ish gallon pool, should I get a 25k or a 40k generator?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

5. Back To Top    #5

We recommend the SWG be at least 1.5x the size of the pool. The larger the cell, the less hard it has to work to make x amount of chlorine, which means the larger cell will last longer before needing replaced.

The cost difference between a 20 and 40K unit is not all that much, so I would say go for the 40 if you can spring for the price difference.

Hayward is likely the most popular brand. Its easy to operate and has the less expensive replacement cells and easy for anyone to replace a board if its needed.

Pentair and Jandy area also very good brands. I have a pentair and I like it, but the replacement cells are very expensive. Someday, I'll have to pay out the nose for a replacement cell. Pentair has all of the electronics built into the cell, which is why its so expensive.

I dont have any personal experiece with a Jandy....
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

I saw this brand from another post, review looks good the price is very luring. 40k for $500 that's basically the price of a hayward cell...

Pool Salt System 40,000 Gallons - PL7700 - INYOPools.com

I'm tempted, any opinions?
    SF Bay

7. Back To Top    #7

This site has a comparison of almost all SWGs on the market with relevant metrics such as lifetime costs and warranty options. This should be your starting point -

Discount Salt Pool - Compare Chlorine Generators and Chlorinators

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave
    The most important thing for you to worry about however, is your pH. Poor pH will eat up a heater in a relatively short amount of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise
    Poor pH management is the main cause of heaters corroding, not salt.
    +1 to both of these and adding for emphasis.

I don't normally pile on when good advice is given, but there seems to be a spike in misinformation about corrosion and SWGs lately. Not sure if it's coming from pool builders, pool stores, or wherever. Therefore, adding emphasis that low pH will ruin a heater faster than anything salt alone could ever do.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the response so far.... based on the info given, I think if I went with a SWG I should invest in an acid doser of some kind?
    SF Bay

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dannieboiz View Post
    Thanks for the response so far.... based on the info given, I think if I went with a SWG I should invest in an acid doser of some kind?
    If you maintain a lower TA level (60-80) as TFP recommends, your acid usage won't be very high. Acid dosing can work well but it's also another piece of equipment to maintain and repair. The plastic lines on those systems need frequent replacement. I would see how your pH responds after adding the SWG and living with it for a while before even considering an acid dosing system.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

thanks JV,

Judging by the chart in the above link, the SJ-40 looks like a clear winner. It's a few hundred dollars more than other system but seems like a lot of the members here have them. Getting help will be much easier.
    SF Bay

12. Back To Top    #12

For your size pool, I would certainly be looking at SWGs rated for at 1.4 pounds/day or better. The SJ-40 looks to be a good fit.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons