Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green organic stain for over a month on vinyl liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Green organic stain for over a month on vinyl liner

I closed my pool for the first year without a leaf mesh net.

Startup went fine, but I opened very early in the season, I think I shocked with leaves still in it and I was left with a green stain. It has gotten a little thinner but nothing I do will get rid of it, shocking didn't help, maintaining high chlorine didn't help, I rubbed on Orange on it and nothing, magic eraser.

Not sure what to try next.‎
    18' x 36" Ovalish 80,000 Litre Vinyl IGP. 2 speed 1HP Hayward pump SP2607X102S. 300 Pound Sand Filter. Summit Sum5 Heat Pump, Goldline Controls Aqua Logic P4 System, T-CELL-15 SWG, Aqua Pod Remote Control, Pentair 7845xx02 light.
    TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Stirrer, Pool Chemist in training.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green organic stain for over a month on vinyl liner

CYA puck placed on the stain for 3-5mins.
    If it doesn't budge could be somebody dropped an penny in there and you have a copper stain.
    Use some Vitamin C pills in a sock and rub the area.

Some recommend going the VitC route first as the CYA puck is acidic as well and may indicate false inorganic stains
    30k in ground vinyl lined pool surrounded by decking in the woods.
    Hayward sand filter circa mid 80's
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears

3. Back To Top    #3

I've never had much luck with the vitamin C, is there a pool store product that contains the Vitamin C type properties that I can just add to the pool to remove the stain?
    18' x 36" Ovalish 80,000 Litre Vinyl IGP. 2 speed 1HP Hayward pump SP2607X102S. 300 Pound Sand Filter. Summit Sum5 Heat Pump, Goldline Controls Aqua Logic P4 System, T-CELL-15 SWG, Aqua Pod Remote Control, Pentair 7845xx02 light.

4. Back To Top    #4

Vitamin C is Ascorbic Acid. You can buy it in bulk online and pool stores. But why throw something in the pool without first diagnosing the nature of the stain?
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears

5. Back To Top    #5

The pool store recommended putting PH down in a sock and attaching it to a pole to rub on the spot to remove it, is this good advice?

6. Back To Top    #6

pH down is a dry acid and should work to lighten the stain if it is truly copper.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by basod View Post
    pH down is a dry acid and should work to lighten the stain if it is truly copper.
    It was from a pile of leaves, there is copper in leaves?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstead View Post
    It was from a pile of leaves, there is copper in leaves?
    I was reading from above posts where I mentioned there was a possibility a penny may have been thrown in the pool.
    No there is no measurable trace minerals in organic debris to cause a metal type stain.

Dry acids can work on organic stains but you're likely to see better results from a tri-chlor puck or raising FC in the pool for a while - neither of these tests have worked for you?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by basod View Post
    I was reading from above posts where I mentioned there was a possibility a penny may have been thrown in the pool.
    No there is no measurable trace minerals in organic debris to cause a metal type stain.

Dry acids can work on organic stains but you're likely to see better results from a tri-chlor puck or raising FC in the pool for a while - neither of these tests have worked for you?
    Definitely no penny.

While the temperature was still cold in the season and not much sun, I hadn't realized the chlorinator was set to 100% for an easy 2 weeks. So my FC was easily in the 15-18 range and it didn't help much, although the green stain lightened a little.

10. Back To Top    #10

Dry acid on a vinyl liner is a bad idea - you run the risk of bubbling the liner which is a lot worse than a green stain.

I know you said the Vitamin C hasn't worked for you in the past but have you even tried it on this stain?