Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blue Gunk after adding Borax?

1. Back To Top    #1

Blue Gunk after adding Borax?

I added about 1/2 box of Borax last night and this morning I found blue gunk on the bottom of the pool. I vacuumed and backwashed. The water was a very blue green that came out during backwash. I let it run clear. The PH is 7.2 right now. So far this year I have added an algaecide and a clarifier.

Our heat exchanger was corroded on our heater when we started up this year. The heater has been bypassed and the water is not going through the heater. We are waiting to install the new heat exchanger. Is this copper in the water?
    c ya, grivera

IG, Cement, 18,600 Gal; DE, SWCG, Nature 2; 1.5 hp pump; Quartz Aggregate, Mid-Atlantic-1st opened 7/07

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Blue Gunk after adding Borax?

Did you add the borax through the skimmer? Copper in the water can cause scale that is somewhat blue when the PH is very high. If you added borax through the skimmer it might have caused copper scaling inside the filter, which might account for what you are seeing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

No, I just sprinkled it around the perimeter of the pool. The ph was low when I added it. It's really weird, the water was pure blue/green when I backwashed and something blue is still cling to the grass in the area where I backwash.
    c ya, grivera

IG, Cement, 18,600 Gal; DE, SWCG, Nature 2; 1.5 hp pump; Quartz Aggregate, Mid-Atlantic-1st opened 7/07

4. Back To Top    #4

what kind of clarifier and what kind of algaecide?