At a loss. Now what?

May 19, 2012
Hello all. I am having trouble clearing my water. I have been slamming for right at a month now and get get past blue and cloudy. I ran a full set of tests this morning with the exception of Ph. They are as follows. I have a TF100 :)

FC 16.5
CC .5
TA 300
CH 300
CYA 50

We deep cleaned the sand filter yesterday hoping desperately for signs of change this morning. Nothing. I can only see 6-8 inches below the surface. I have been in it and scrubbed. The walls are somewhat gritty. I can rub most of it off with my hand. I am getting in today with a scrubber to get the rest. I My pools is a 21x52 AGP. I just don't know what else to do. Please help. Thank you for your time.

SLAMMing for a month? I guess it's not unheard of, but I would suggest a re-read on process. Are you running your pump 24/7? You mentioned that you're planning to brush, but you should be brushing/vacuuming EVERY DAY. Was your CYA at 50 when you started the SLAM a month ago? If so, you are not maintaining FC at a high enough level. You should be at FC 20, not 16. If you have a sand filter, you may want to add DE to your filter to enhance filtration until SLAM is complete.

My CYA was 30 when I started slam. Wow were all caps really necessary? I have read pool school and have a good understanding of it. Yes I have brushed numerous times. I am asking for help because I don't know what else I can do. Yes running pump 24/7. I am scrubbing the gritty of the pool walls today. When I tested CYA today was when I got a reading of 50. I had only tested twice before. First time to start slam and next time after numerous backwashes and rain. Sorry to bother you. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction instead of making me feel stupid for asking for help. Thanks. P.S. I have been lurking here for years. I only asked for help one other time. I have spent hours reading pool school and related articles trying to get this water clear. Just stumped.

Let's start with a few questions? Your CYA was 30 but went up to 50? Did you add any CYA? Are you chlorinating with just bleach or granules that contain CYA?

What have you been targeting for your free chlorine and how often are you checking and re-dosing chlorine to keep it at slam level?

Than you Aimee. I added CYA about 10 days ago. I tested in the middle of my slam because of numerous backwashes and receiving some torrential rains. I am assuming thats when it went to 50 because at that test (the 2nd one) it had dropped to 20. At onset of slam I was at 30. I tested chlorine several times a day for the first 15 or so days, adding when needed to maintain FC 16. About a week ago I slowed down on my testing as it was holding at 16-20 respectively. My CC was at .5 so I thought I was getting close to being done.I have been at this cloudy blue state for at least 3 weeks of this whole thing. It hasn't changed at all. I deep cleaned my sand filter yesterday hoping for something, any kind of change in pool clarity. Nothing. I have been in it, brushed and brushed and scrubbed and scrubbed. I just can't get past cloudy and blue. I buy 10% liquid chlorine at Rural King. I was late opening this year because of other obligations so I knew going in is was going to be a long haul. I just don't understand why I'm not moving forward. I have had to order reagents twice if that tells you how often I have been testing. If you guys think I need to continue slamming, so be it. Thats what I will do. Just wanted to "pick the brains" of the experts. I was starting to think I was doing something wrong somewhere somehow. Thanks for any help you can givve.

I can say with certainty that my pool was cloudy for quite a while after clearing my pool that I let turn into a green swamp over the winter. It sounds to me like you understand SLAM.......maintaining FC at shock level for your CYA. As your CYA has increased, you do want to increase that FC that you are maintaining accordingly. That's the key to slam......keeping FC elevated to the shock level for your CYA until you pass all three tests....clear water, OCLT of less than 1 and cc of .5 or less.

Is your pump pressure rising on a regular basis requiring backwash? It should if it's filtering out debris. Have you tried adding some DE to your sand filter? Can you vacuum to waste? Have you tried the overnight free chlorine loss test (OCLT)?

can you post a picture? And last.......could you update your signature with your pool info which will help other help you more quickly. Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Yes my pump pressure was rising on a regular basis. Not so much anymore. No I haven't tried the OCLT, but I will tonight. I will try adding DE to my filter. Where do I buy it? Not sure if I post a picture. I'll try...Thanks so much for your help.

You'll want to buy pool DE and not garden DE. Here, it is sold at Lowes. One box might likely last you a lifetime with a sand filter. So if you know anyone who has a DE filter it might be better to see if you could have a cup of two and follow the instructions in pool school for adding it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How often are you backwashing? We recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure. If you decide to add DE to your filter to help clear the water then do it when you can monitor the pressure rise and backwash when needed. If you add DE too soon the pressure can rise quickly.

More here, Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

I am going to post something that won't be liked here :) I had almost a black very dark green pool when I opened the pool a month ago. I shocked the pool and even after three months of running the pump, filtering, cleaning the filter and shocking it stayed cloudy even it was blue. It crossed my mind that the water is cloudy because of all the dead algae and I told myself that the dead algae simply goes through the filter (cartridge). So I added some of the blue pool clarifier, and in 24 hours the pool became almost clear and the pressure went up and water flow went down. I cleaned the filter and the next day it 100% perfect.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Clarifier causes the water to bond together, which can make it easier to filter, especially with sand or cart. DE filters most effectively, hence the suggestion to add DE. I don't think anyone here would fault you for using a clarifier once, but it's unquestionably better to not need it through proper chemical maintenance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.