Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need to bother adjusting TA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need to bother adjusting TA?

Many of you is probably followed my threads on here since I am new to this. Thanks for all the help.

6/19 results
    pH 7.3 and holding nicely
    TA 90
    I think my pool likes being at that level. This morning's results after swimming and adding fill water, approximately only 1-1.5" --- total alkalinity of fill water is 400.

FC 4.5
    CC 0.0 so happy
    pH 7.5
    TA 160 surprised it went this high with so little fill added. I'm sure with some math I could say I am wrong.
    CYA 50

adding 42 oz of 10% bleach.
    BUT, so I bother with the 55-65oz of MA?
    or wait and see how the TA affects pH?

My my log shows my pool isn't a fan of a TA of 160.
    Maybe I just answered my own question???
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need to bother adjusting TA?

The only real reason to actively lower TA is to stop PH rise so you don't have to add acid so often. But, adding acid to lower PH will also slowly lower TA. So, it will get there eventually.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

So for now let it ride?
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have some time to burn by the pool today I might spend a little time lowering to 120 or 100 to help move the process along. Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity. But, if not, it is fine too.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

That's what I've been following.
    Threw some Ma in and will be back in by 1700 today.