pH level constant increases

Jul 4, 2015
Québec
This is my first post, so I hope I follow correctly the forum's rules.

So, first and foremost :)
FC 6
pH 7.8
TA 90
CH 260
CYA 40

I've tried lowering my pH and TA level last weekend. I had to put twice as much "pH-" product as per directions to achieve 7.2 (product was bought at the pool store and there were no indications about what was the active ingredient nor the concentration).
This weekend, pH is back up at high levels with everything else stable.
I need your help! Thanks in advance!

You will probably find using muratic acid to lower pH will be less expensive than the Pool Store. I would check Canadian Tire because you can get almost anything there.

You will find that pH naturally wants to rise in most pools. Aeration from water movement causes it. Even having a return jet pointed up causing ripples on the surface raises pH. Waterfalls and kids splashing speeds up the process.

So, to slow it down you have a couple of things you can control.

TA - the higher your alkalinity the faster pH rises. I keep my TA in the 50 - 60 range to slow the rise

Where you keep your pH. Higher pH tends to rise slower. So, shoot for pH of 7.5 or 7.6 rather than 7.2

With a little trial and error you will find your pools sweet spot to slow the rise, but seldom do can you eliminate it.

By "running water feature", Woody is talking about a feature such as a fountain or waterfall that exposes the water to the air. For example, the pH in my pool tends to drift up due to a spillover spa where the spa is connected to, but raised above, the pool surface. This results in a waterfall when the valves are set to circulate water among the spa and pool. However, the pH will tend to stabilize around 7.6 - 7.8 and stay there for a while before needing to be adjusted.

You will probably find using muratic acid to lower pH will be less expensive than the Pool Store. I would check Canadian Tire because you can get almost anything there.

You will find that pH naturally wants to rise in most pools. Aeration from water movement causes it. Even having a return jet pointed up causing ripples on the surface raises pH. Waterfalls and kids splashing speeds up the process.

So, to slow it down you have a couple of things you can control.

TA - the higher your alkalinity the faster pH rises. I keep my TA in the 50 - 60 range to slow the rise

Where you keep your pH. Higher pH tends to rise slower. So, shoot for pH of 7.5 or 7.6 rather than 7.2

With a little trial and error you will find your pools sweet spot to slow the rise, but seldom do can you eliminate it.

Thanks a lot. Aeration is a good hypothesis since I leave the pump on most of the time (I am away most weekdays).

Also, I though adding muriatic acid would complicate the lowering of TA. No?

Also, recommended levels of FC for the Liquidator is 7.2-7.4 I believe.

By "running water feature", Woody is talking about a feature such as a fountain or waterfall that exposes the water to the air. For example, the pH in my pool tends to drift up due to a spillover spa where the spa is connected to, but raised above, the pool surface. This results in a waterfall when the valves are set to circulate water among the spa and pool. However, the pH will tend to stabilize around 7.6 - 7.8 and stay there for a while before needing to be adjusted.

I see. I don't have that feature, except for occasional water slide use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.