Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balancing FC?

1. Back To Top    #1

Balancing FC?

So my FC sky rocketed (10-20 range) due to pucks and my CYA is 50. So I took the chlorinater basket out like 3-4 days ago. I know pucks aren't part of the program, but I already bought them. Here are my numbers from today (K-2005 test kit). My question is how do I know when/how much liquid chlorine to add?

FC 2-4
    TC 2-4
    CC 0
    CYA 50
    pH 7.6
    TA 100
    ( I ran out of time to test calcium hardness so all right test that when I get home)

Thanks guys! The pool water is crystal clear since day 1 (6/16).
    Intex Ultra Frame 15' x 48", 40" depth, 4,440 gal., 110-120V Filter Pump, flow rate of 1,000 gal/hour, filled with garden hose. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Balancing FC?

Hey, neighbor! A few things:

1) You would benefit GREATLY from a FAS-DPD test for chlorine. You can pick one up from TFTestkits. This will give you precise chlorine readings.

2) What kind of pucks are you using? Different composition give off different "side effects", including hammering your CYA.

3) To see how much liquid bleach to use, use the POOL MATH calculator. Be sure to input the strength of your bleach or liquid chlorine to get the proper result.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

3. Back To Top    #3

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

That along with the PoolMath app (top of page) should tell you how much. Got a salt water generator?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Put your numbers into PoolMath, and it will give you the answers you are looking for.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

OK I will look into ordering just that test. I'm using Tropiclear pucks. And I will check out that calculator because according to the chart on this website my FC needs to be ideally 6.

- - - Updated - - -

No, no salt water generator. I just have a cheap cartridge filter that came with my Intex pool.