Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with ph and TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with ph and TA

My ph is 7.8 and my TA is 176. Where do I start first?
    Above ground intex 24x 52 Swg with sand filter pump. Well water. New started the end of May. 11,600 gallons. Test kit TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Help with ph and TA

That's pretty brief. How is your FC and CYA and CH?

Are you having issues? What does your water look like?

If you are asking about lowering TA and pH, how long has it been like that? What is the TA and pH of your fill water?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Adding acid will lower both. 7.8 is "ok" but if it has been rising due to the high TA then feel free to lower it down to 7.2.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

I have to wait a week to retest my CYA. My water is clear. My Ch is 175. My FC is 4. I have only had my test kit for a few days. My other test kit before I got my Tf100 showed my Alkalinity was normal.
    Above ground intex 24x 52 Swg with sand filter pump. Well water. New started the end of May. 11,600 gallons. Test kit TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

For now, I would simply monitor your pH (of course, keeping your FC up is job #1).

If your pH goes to 8.0, adjust it down but do so using the process for lowering TA. That article is in Pool School and it will allow you to lower your TA down as well as reduce your pH. Post back if you have a question on that TA lowering process.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you positive that TA was 170 to 180. The following is from Extended Test Kit Instructions.

Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.

Hold the dropper bottles vertically and squeeze gently, so that drops come out slowly and seem to hang on the tip of the dropper bottle for a moment before falling.
    24' Reprieve RD/AG/13K gal Vinyl TFP method
    Waterway Clearwater 175 sqft Cartridge
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 Test Kit SpeedStir Borate Insta Test
    Spreading TFP to All

7. Back To Top    #7

I will try again with the Ta but I am pretty sure I wipe between drops. Thanks You all are great.

8. Back To Top    #8

176 seems like a strange result. Generally a drop test lacks this degree of precision you're reporting )most TA are in base 10). Beyond that, it is quite high... almost double.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

9. Back To Top    #9

Still trying to get my TA down. Now TA is 110, Ph is between 7.2 -7.5. I haven't yet got my ph to 7.0. Should I keep adding muractic acid to achieve 7.0?

10. Back To Top    #10

Are you swimming in your pool now? If so, I'd just let the pH drift back up again, and again lower it with MA. You don't need to hit a precise number with TA. My TA is above normal in my pool, but my pH sits at 7.6 and doesn't drift, so I live with the higher TA number.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit