OK this is where I am. I have a new pool, my first, which l have been operating very well for the last three weeks, using only NaHOCl and HCl. I live in the, very, rural Philippines and I have no pool shops or contractors within 3 light years, so I am on my own.
While I have a CL200 Trichlor feeder I am debating, with myself whether to use it, and instead rely on manual addition of 10% NaHOCl and 30% HCl. (Why does everybody call hydrochloric acid muriatic acid? New to me.)
1. Both are cheap here, and readily available.
2. Avoids build up of CYA.
3. May not be able to get TriChlor consistently and it costs an arm and leg to get from Manila.
4. Don't have a CYA test kit. Although I am trying to find one.
So far I have been dosing in evening testing in morning (usually 2ppm FC) and evening (usually <1ppm). HCl when needed about twice a week.
It has been clear all of that time and no backwash has been needed, although I did one 2 days ago to test the system with the contractor.
1. Is this sound practice?
2. How often should I Slam?
3. Slam target 10ppm or higher?
4. Should I put a little CYA in, say one Trichlor tab to dissolve slowly through the feeder?
5. I currently have 35 - 3” TriChlor tables, any estimate of how long these might last if I use them, days, weeks, months, I have no idea.
Thank you all in advance for any help and insight that you can provide. Enjoy your pools!