Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How can I clean my Hayward Sand filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

How can I clean my Hayward Sand filter?

I just replaced the sand in my Hayward S166T 2 weeks ago, but I had an algae problem at the beginning of the season and my sand is really dirty.

Even though I backwash and rinse there is still debris in my filter.

I read somewhere how you can put a garden hose in the filter and let it run until all of the water comes out clean. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: How can I clean my Hayward Sand filter?

I think you mean the method in this post.

But if your sand is only two weeks old you really shouldn't need to do that. There will always be some debris in a sand filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How can I clean my Hayward Sand filter?

I found that post and performed the instructions.

I will say this as a word of advice for anyone!!!!

Never ... ever ... ever have a Birch tree anywhere near your pool. It wastes your time, and will never give you peace!

I cleaned my filter per the instructions in the referenced post, and THOUSANDS of tiny Birch seeds came pouring out. I knew they were falling because I've been cleaning my skimmer 3 times a day, but these things are so small they can get through the holes in your skimmer basket and pump skimmer basket and go straight to your filter. Backwashing doesn't remove them, and you are left with the task of removing your pump head and cleaning your filter manually.

Seriously, from one Birch tree I've literally spent 1 hour a day skimming the surface with a catch net and cleaning my skimmer baskets. I had no idea that these things made it to your filter and weren't removed by standard Backwashing.

That tree is coming down tomorrow.

Sorry for the rant!