Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time using TF 100 kit - zero CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

First time using TF 100 kit - zero CYA

Hi all,

So, we've lived with this pool for 3 seasons. Last year I found this site, switched to liquid chlorine and had no problems maintaining chlorine, keeping algae in check and having appropriate PH levels. We opened our pool 3 weeks ago. The pool wouldn't hold chlorine day to day. I ordered a TF 100 testing kit. While I was waiting for it to arrive, SLAMed the pool last weekend and have been holding at 3ppm daily . I add 50ish oz of 12% liquid chlorine around 5am each morning. The test kit arrived and here are my results as of 8pm.

FC - 5.5
    CC - .5
    TC - 6
    TA - 90
    CYA - zero, can still see the black dot when vial is completely full

Using the basic kit, I get 2ppm chlorine and a ph of 7.5.

I live in the Northeast, it's been sunny in the mid 80's and water temp is 82.

Please help me understand CYA and how to increase it (I never checked it before this year) and give me an idea of what these results mean.

Thanks so much!!

Kim
    1989 Sylvan Pool, resurfaced 2008 - In-ground Gunite - 25k Gallons - Hayward DE Filter - 1.5HP single speed Hayward Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time using TF 100 kit - zero CYA

Well, first thing you need to do is increase CYA to a minimum target of 30.
    To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
    Think of CYA (stabilizer) as sunscreen for your free chlorine (FC). It also buffers the effects of chlorine for swimmers.

Once the stabilizer is soaking and dissolving, lower pH to 7.2 BEFORE increasing FC to "12". An FC of 12 is your SLAM level and that's what you need to maintain 24/7 as much as possible until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria (link below). The key is to maintain that FC level. Follow everything else listed on the SLAM page and you should do just fine.

Let us know if you have nay other questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello,

On Monday, I added the proper amount of granular stabilizer per the above directions. I started at 0 and my target is 30. I have been testing periodically this week with the T100 test kit and I can still see the black dot when the vial is full. Any thoughts on why my CYA level would not be rising? Note that early in the week the test sample was very clear and as the week has gone on, it is getting a bit more opaque, but can still easily see the dot.

My pool is crystal clear, just not holding chlorine like I think it should.

Thanks!

Kim
    1989 Sylvan Pool, resurfaced 2008 - In-ground Gunite - 25k Gallons - Hayward DE Filter - 1.5HP single speed Hayward Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

The CYA should show up on the test 24 hours after it is fully dissolved from the sock. More here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Maybe the pool volume is off a bit? I would definitely add more to protect FC from the sun and reduce your daily chlorine consumption. Add another 10 or 20 ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, I'll add more tonight and check tomorrow.

Thank you!!

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the Cya dissipating with a target of 30 even though I already put in 6.25lbs last week and my level is still 0. We'll see if it comes up. When I add the liquid chlorine to start the SLAM process, how long do I wait to test the water? Is an hour a reliable amount of time?

7. Back To Top    #7

Chlorine should mix in 15minutes with the pump running.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

How about giving us a full list of test results? If you still have very clear CYA test solution, we may go a different route.