Need Help With Multi-Port Valve

bstway

May 21, 2013
Falls Church, VA
When my pump is off my multi-port valve makes noise and the pump basket loses water over time. Last year I replaced the spider gasket because it was leaking a lot of water out the backwash port. Now it is still leaking (a drip at a time) enough to cause my pump basket to lose water. When I plug the backwash port with a rubber stopper the pump basket remains full. Since I replaced the spider gasket last year how should I address the leak in the multi-port valve to prevent my pump basket from losing water?

I don't have that particular set-up, but I can't help but wonder by looking at the PARTS BREAKDOWN if there's another culprit involved like an O-ring or the valve spring worn. Maybe someone else will have personal experience with the same issue.

Need to disassemble the valve and clean and lubricate the stem O-ring. When the stem O-ring gets dry, it prevents the diverter from seating all of the way down. Also, check the multiport gasket again to make sure that it is good.

I finally got around to opening up the valve. The spider gasket looks as good as it did when installed last season. My valve doesn't appear to have any 0-rings in it except to seal the cover. One end of the spring sits directly on the diverter the other on a washer at the valve cover. There was some minor debris in the housing. So, I'll clean everything, put it back together and see what happens.

No go; still have the same drip leak. However, the "crackling" sound that seemed to be continuous before now is more intermittent. The spring looked fine but that's not saying much. Any other ideas? This is what it looks like:

001.JPG
002.jpg

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 42
Did you clean and lube the stem o-ring as JamesW suggested above? This requires disassembly of the removed section in your pics above. As he stated, a dry o-ring can prevent the diverter from seating completely. Clean the shaft and hole in the lid too. Any buildup of dirt there can prevent the assembly from moving properly.

Did you clean and lube the stem o-ring as JamesW suggested above? This requires disassembly of the removed section in your pics above. As he stated, a dry o-ring can prevent the diverter from seating completely. Clean the shaft and hole in the lid too. Any buildup of dirt there can prevent the assembly from moving properly.

I see the o-ring in the exploded view a few replies above but not in mine. The stem on mine seems to go through a bushing like element that is located at the hole in the lid. Could the o-ring be between the bushing and the washer on the outside of the lid?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks proavia and JamesW. Now that I actually took the time to take your advice the valve is quiet and has no leak. The only thing that was obviously broken was the handle (see below). Not sure if it was like that or it happened during disassembly. Hopefully this won't cause a problem. Now to see if my pump basket remains full while the pump is off for a while.

0BwFvkeJLKOPedEVMUFRDTW9OQnM

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.