Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Help With Multi-Port Valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Help With Multi-Port Valve

When my pump is off my multi-port valve makes noise and the pump basket loses water over time. Last year I replaced the spider gasket because it was leaking a lot of water out the backwash port. Now it is still leaking (a drip at a time) enough to cause my pump basket to lose water. When I plug the backwash port with a rubber stopper the pump basket remains full. Since I replaced the spider gasket last year how should I address the leak in the multi-port valve to prevent my pump basket from losing water?
    11.5k gal, IG Plaster (2001), 1.5 HP Pentair Ultra-Flow Pump, Purex Triton FNS Plus 60 sqft DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Help With Multi-Port Valve

I don't have that particular set-up, but I can't help but wonder by looking at the PARTS BREAKDOWN if there's another culprit involved like an O-ring or the valve spring worn. Maybe someone else will have personal experience with the same issue.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Need to disassemble the valve and clean and lubricate the stem O-ring. When the stem O-ring gets dry, it prevents the diverter from seating all of the way down. Also, check the multiport gasket again to make sure that it is good.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow.
    11.5k gal, IG Plaster (2001), 1.5 HP Pentair Ultra-Flow Pump, Purex Triton FNS Plus 60 sqft DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I finally got around to opening up the valve. The spider gasket looks as good as it did when installed last season. My valve doesn't appear to have any 0-rings in it except to seal the cover. One end of the spring sits directly on the diverter the other on a washer at the valve cover. There was some minor debris in the housing. So, I'll clean everything, put it back together and see what happens.

6. Back To Top    #6

No go; still have the same drip leak. However, the "crackling" sound that seemed to be continuous before now is more intermittent. The spring looked fine but that's not saying much. Any other ideas? This is what it looks like:

001.JPG
    002.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Did you clean and lube the stem o-ring as JamesW suggested above? This requires disassembly of the removed section in your pics above. As he stated, a dry o-ring can prevent the diverter from seating completely. Clean the shaft and hole in the lid too. Any buildup of dirt there can prevent the assembly from moving properly.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

8. Back To Top    #8

Could you post a picture of the other half of the valve?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by proavia View Post
    Did you clean and lube the stem o-ring as JamesW suggested above? This requires disassembly of the removed section in your pics above. As he stated, a dry o-ring can prevent the diverter from seating completely. Clean the shaft and hole in the lid too. Any buildup of dirt there can prevent the assembly from moving properly.
    I see the o-ring in the exploded view a few replies above but not in mine. The stem on mine seems to go through a bushing like element that is located at the hole in the lid. Could the o-ring be between the bushing and the washer on the outside of the lid?

10. Back To Top    #10

There's a pin in the black handle. Tap that out.

11. Back To Top    #11

bstway

This thread may help. I had the same problem with my Multiport Valve. It looks like the same valves as your's, from your pictures.
    - Pool Type: 15k Gal Gunite IG non-SWG / Built 1988
    - Pump: Pentair Challenger / Sweep Pump: Letro Model LA01N .75HP Single-speed / 6 hrs-day (1 turnover)
    - D.E. Filter: OEM: Nautilus (Pentair) #NS 36 / 36 Sq Ft / D.E. Charge: 3.6 Lb
    - Pentair 4-wheel Sweep LL505G - Booster Pump runs ~2 hrs/day

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by proavia View Post
    Thanks proavia and JamesW. Now that I actually took the time to take your advice the valve is quiet and has no leak. The only thing that was obviously broken was the handle (see below). Not sure if it was like that or it happened during disassembly. Hopefully this won't cause a problem. Now to see if my pump basket remains full while the pump is off for a while.