Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Old guy, Old pool, Leslie's didn't help.

1. Back To Top    #1

Old guy, Old pool, Leslie's didn't help.

Been reviewing the forum after getting frustrated with the amount of TriChlor powder I was pouring in.

Ordering test kit, but all the cheap test kits indicate the CYA is in the hundreds. Which I believe..

Pool meets all the symptoms, takes lots of chlorine to keep it clear, PH was really low, brought up with Borax. So switched to only liquid chlorine. Two gallons a day seems to be holding off algae.

So knowing only way to reduce CYA is drain/refill and California is still in a drought, what can you do with the water?
    I have a hose connection on the pressure side of the pump.

Wash vehicles? Dump it on lawn? (going to remove it anyway). Pressure wash house and deck?

Seems I should block the skimmer intake so it pulls from bottom of pool.

Orchard
    In ground pool with attached spa - 18x32 with diving board, built in 1989ish. Estimate at 30000 gallons. Hayward 2hp pump, C3000 with cartridge filters. Polaris 360 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Old guy, Old pool, Leslie's didn't help.

Welcome to TFP!

Folks in water rationing areas do have problems.

You can Google your area and see if reverse osmosis is available in your area.

Why would you block the skimmer??
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I thought I read in one of the posts it is better to drain water from the bottom of the pool rather than from both skimmer and main drain. Or does it matter?
    In ground pool with attached spa - 18x32 with diving board, built in 1989ish. Estimate at 30000 gallons. Hayward 2hp pump, C3000 with cartridge filters. Polaris 360 cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by orchard53 View Post
    I thought I read in one of the posts it is better to drain water from the bottom of the pool rather than from both skimmer and main drain. Or does it matter?
    Nope, doesn't matter. Some believe that CYA is near the surface but that is incorrect. CYA is in solution throughout the water column.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Blocking skimmer intake to draw only from bottom? I'd be reluctant myself to do this with pump running. Even though I have valves to shut off intake from skimmers, I'd be reluctant to run the pump to drain only from floor drain once below skimmers.....I think mine would still suck air even with valves closed but maybe I'm wrong.

I know from experience with my setup where pump and filter are lower than the pool water that if we leave the filter on backwash or waste without pump running, it drains. ALOT. It's happened twice here when "somebody" left the filter handle on waste.........hoping it isn't a habit of this person. It seems like a watched pool never fills.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Well found a person in the area that does reverse osmosis, will see what it costs.

7. Back To Top    #7

Well found a person in the area that does reverse osmosis, will see what it costs.
    The last cost I saw was $550 for up to 25,000 gallons. Plus, there is an amount of waste water that will also need to be taken into consideration.

8. Back To Top    #8

Preliminary quote - A 30,000 gallon pool would be $1000.

Ouch.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yup, almost always cheaper to replace the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Slowly replacing water in pool....  And wife likes water warm...  Chlorine costs, but is keeping wife happy.

11. Back To Top    #11

keeping wife happy.
    Very good idea!

12. Back To Top    #12

I would use the water from the pool for your yard and other outdoor needs. That way it's not wasted.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.