Going on vacation and my pool eats Acid

downtfish

Bronze Supporter
May 6, 2015
katy, tx
I recently had my pool replastered so it is taking a lot of acid. Daily doses, knock it down to 7.2 in the morning and it's back to 7.8 or 8.0 in the evening. I'm working my TA down some more to see if that will help. The question I have is, will a high PH for a week hurt much, start scaling, etc or am I good for that amount of time and shouldn't worry about it.

Numbers since everyone asks.
Chlorine - 7.0
TA - 70
CYA - 50
PH 7.2 to 7.8 depending on the day. Right now 7.4
CH - 300
Salt - added for feel and overshot - 2800 (kids loved it)

I use a peristaltic pump to add bleach nightly.

No, it isn't that big of a deal. It is sustained high or low PH for months that creates the problems. If you get your TA down to 60 before you leave that should help a bit. That is a pretty fast rise though. Are you running any waterfalls or bubblers? If yes, run them less or none to help reduce the PH rise.

I dont run my waterfall on a regular basis right now for this reason. Really only when we are swimming or hangin out outside at the moment. Then I check the PH and adjust if necessary.

It's good to hear it won't mess things up for a week. I wasn't looking forward to another pump for acid as I know this rise should go away and become relatively stable. I don't plan on having the waterfalls run while I'm gone.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Also my pool water looks awesome due to the advice on this site. Wish I found it before I built my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.