Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going on vacation and my pool eats Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Going on vacation and my pool eats Acid

I recently had my pool replastered so it is taking a lot of acid. Daily doses, knock it down to 7.2 in the morning and it's back to 7.8 or 8.0 in the evening. I'm working my TA down some more to see if that will help. The question I have is, will a high PH for a week hurt much, start scaling, etc or am I good for that amount of time and shouldn't worry about it.

Numbers since everyone asks.
    Chlorine - 7.0
    TA - 70
    CYA - 50
    PH 7.2 to 7.8 depending on the day. Right now 7.4
    CH - 300
    Salt - added for feel and overshot - 2800 (kids loved it)

I use a peristaltic pump to add bleach nightly.
    16,500 gallon in-ground pool and spa with Quartzscapes Midnight-blue and pretty sparkles
    Aqualink RS with PDA
    Jandy Pro Series Plus HP 2 HP 2 Speed Pump
    Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going on vacation and my pool eats Acid

No, it isn't that big of a deal. It is sustained high or low PH for months that creates the problems. If you get your TA down to 60 before you leave that should help a bit. That is a pretty fast rise though. Are you running any waterfalls or bubblers? If yes, run them less or none to help reduce the PH rise.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

My new plaster had pH rise almost that fast. Drop it to 7.0 right before you leave, high pH for a few days won't cause any problems.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I dont run my waterfall on a regular basis right now for this reason. Really only when we are swimming or hangin out outside at the moment. Then I check the PH and adjust if necessary.

It's good to hear it won't mess things up for a week. I wasn't looking forward to another pump for acid as I know this rise should go away and become relatively stable. I don't plan on having the waterfalls run while I'm gone.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Also my pool water looks awesome due to the advice on this site. Wish I found it before I built my pool.