Jun 28, 2015
Mesa, AZ
FC 5.5
CC .5
PH 7.6
CH 700
TA 90
CYA ???

After finally getting our pool on track at the end of last season, it took 1/4 gallon of chlorine to keep the correct levels throughout the winter. Starting around the end of March I had to increase the daily chlorine to 1/2 gallon per day to keep it at the correct levels. About June I started noticing that the pool was taking more and more chlorine and I was only able to test it about every other day. When testing it was often reading at 0. The last t 2 days I've had to increase to a gallon of chlorine per day and the water is starting to look a little cloudy. The PH has been getting really high for about two months. I just put in one gallon of muriatic acid 3 days ago and it brought it down to 7.3 by the next morning. Today it is creeping up and is at 7.6 today.

The weather has been extremely hot, 110 degrees or higher for the passed 3 weeks. Can this extreme heat be part of the problem? Rusty is getting really upset because the neighbors have a pool next door and it is always crystal clear. No one at that house does anything to their pool except the pool guy who services it once per week. He talked to their pool guy and was told that all he does is come once per week and spends about a half hour to forty minutes over there. He didn't tell him what he does when he comes, but how can their pool stay so clear with chemicals added only once a week?

On the CYA TEST today, we didn't get a reading. Rusty filled the container below the label with pool water, added the R0013 to the top of the label and mixed it. Then he waited 30 seconds and shook it again. When he added it to the view tube, he completely filled the view tube and it remained crystal clear and the dot at the bottom never even began to be obscured. Does this mean we have no cyanuric acid in our pool at all? Or, could it mean the R0013 has gone bad? Should we buy some cyanuric acid to add to the pool?

Are all of the other readings normal or is there something else that could also be causing a problem? What about the extreme heat? It seems like the hotter it gets the more problems we have.

Yes, that means there is no CYA. The more intense the sun the faster it burns off you FC. I would add 60 ppm of CYA right away in a few knee highs and squeeze a lot to help it dissolve quickly. Check your FC every few hours in the meantime to make sure it stays above minimum, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] for your CYA at all times. Use 20 if it is 20 or less.

More here on adding chems to your pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.