Potential Phosphates issues

Jul 19, 2015
Biloxi, ms
I am having issues with a Breeze SWG and the manufacturer said that high phosphates could be the issue.
I noticed the chlorine dropping, ran the generator for 12 hours and only 1ppm of chlorine was produced and based on the manual it should have produced approximately 4ppm.

I have been adding 10% liquid chlorine regularly to maintain and the pool is and has been crystal clear.

Most of what I have read on this site over the last year that I have had a pool suggests that I should not be concerned with phosphates.

I went to the pool store and tested for phospates and they were +1000, they recommended a phosphate remover and clarifier.

I did nothing. Any recommendations?

My numbers are as follows:

FC 5
CC 0
TA 60
CH 300
CYA 50
Salt 4200(manual recommends 4000-4500)
PH 7.6

the manufacturer said that high phosphates could be the issue
I'm pleased to hear you didn't fall for the phosphates. Your issue is simply algae and you need to "SLAM" (link below). With a CYA of 50, increase your FC to "20". oops (FIRST), before you do that, lower pH to about 7.2 before you SLAM. Then let it rip! Follow the SLAM page and you'll do fine. You can leave the SWG off during this period and use regular liquid bleach to maintain that elevated SLAM FC level.

Make sure to use your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit to test and maintain that FC level. If you don't have either of those kits, you have to get one first (link below).

Let us know if you have any more questions. Good luck!

I have the k2006, since my chlorine is fine with zero cc , no loss over night and the pool is clear. My problem appears to be just a faulty SWG, are you saying that the high phosphates is a result of algae and therefore a slam is needed?

You can simply disregard the phosphate issue in its entirety. While we all may have some level of phosphate in our water, its irrelevant when there is no algae present for phosphates to support. I was basing my recommendation on your comment about unexplained loss of FC. In fact, I completely skipped-over the SWG, so I suspect the real issue here is that your CYA is below the TFP recommended level of 70, so that may be why you are losing FC too fast during the day. Clear water, no CCs, and passing the OCLT all support that as well. Disregard the SLAM suggestion and increase CYA to 70. That should help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.