Greetings from SC

Jun 25, 2016
Lexington, SC
New to pools and new to this forum. We purchased a home, 3 years ago, with an 9000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool. First year was great, but since have had problems with algae blooms, pump failures, and expensive trips to the local pool store. We've learned a lot from our mistakes, but we're looking for a better method of pool maintenance that will keep us out of trouble. Have started reading through pool school, but welcome any helpful hints or advice.

Welcome to TFP!

I'm going to guess the pool store you have been visiting is over on 6 using the fancy spin lab to test your water and make recomendations on what you need to buy. I'm actually in Lexington near the west end of the lake.

My first recomendation is to stop going to the pool sore altogether. I buy all the supplies I need at WalMart, Lowes and Dollar General.

To take control of you pool you need your own accurate test kit. I recomend the TF-100

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Biggest tip right now (other than reading) .... getting one of your own recommended test kits. Either the TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. Everything you do for your pool is based on your own testing (not the pool store). I highly recommend the TF-100 for its value. Great to have you with us!

Welcome to TFP neighbor.

First piece of advice here will be to order your own quality test kit. Either the Taylor k-2006 or a TF-100 (link in my signature). Keep reading pool school while you wait for a test kit, stay out of the pool store for testing and post questions here and you will find all the help you need :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wow.....all three of us typing at the same time. That's quite a welcome.