Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Lexington, Ohio

New Pool Owner

I bought an above ground pool from a family friend and I have used it twice in two years. The first year we got off to a late start and before I knew it, it was time to close it. Then last year, my water was beautiful when I opened but I had improperly stored my sand filter and it shattered upon start up.... couple that with lots of rain and no filtration/pumping for a several days and I had a beautiful algae crop. I treated with massive shock and algae inhibitors, but the algae was too much for my sand filter and I never did get it clear. I am trying to open the pool this weekend and I have new sand... I'm debating draining the pool completely and scrubbing it down since I cannot seem to vacuum the sludge off the bottom. Any suggestions???

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: New Pool Owner

The recommendation to drain would depend on the volume of the pool. What are the dimensions?

Please add the details of your pool to your forum signature. Edit Signature
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New Pool Owner

You can get your pool back into shape by draining or by using a chlorine SLAM (read here: SLAM). You need to post all of the details about your pool to have people here help you though. You will also need the recommended test kit (K-2006 or TF-100) to do the SLAM.
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV