CYA problems I need advice

I'm having problems with my CYA in my pool. I thought I had figured it out last year reading your posts. At the end of the season when I closed my pool I drained it way down. Over e course of the winter (we had which was a rainy season) I drained it 2 more times. When I opened it up the CYA was around 60 so I thought I was good. Having to shock it to clear it up the CYA was raised up to around 90 but the water was clear and all the chemistry was perfect. Instead of using tablets I decided to use shock to maintain. I was using around 2 pounds every 3 days and according to your chart I was maintaining around 8 to 10 on the FC. The CYA has been steadily raising up which I have around 150 CYA now. I am currently draining again to get it back in specks. I have been using SAM's shock is there anything better I can use that will not raise my CYA? I can't keep draining and filling that will be too much on my well.

Time to read Pool School, and I would suggest starting with this- ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Adding only single ingredient chemicals to your pool makes it a LOT easier to keep track of your pool. And self-testing is the most important part. That granular "shock" product is not a great thing to be using as it obviously also contains CYA with the chlorine. Liquid chlorine (aka "bleach") is the easiest once you learn how to dose it. PoolMath is the application which helps there.

PoolMath says 47 ounces of 8.25% bleach will raise your FC by 1ppm.

Time to read Pool School, and I would suggest starting with this- ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Adding only single ingredient chemicals to your pool makes it a LOT easier to keep track of your pool. And self-testing is the most important part. That granular "shock" product is not a great thing to be using as it obviously also contains CYA with the chlorine. Liquid chlorine (aka "bleach") is the easiest once you learn how to dose it. PoolMath is the application which helps there.

PoolMath says 47 ounces of 8.25% bleach will raise your FC by 1ppm.

Thank you my friend. I will get some bleach tomorrow. This looks like it will be a lot better to use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.