Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Salt in Fresh Water Pool

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central PA USA
    Posts
    18

    Salt in Fresh Water Pool

    See my signature for pool specs.

    Location Central PA
    BBB since 2004 And Ben
    I add 8.25% bleach (Clorox) and Muriatic acid automatically with CAT based on ORP and pH.

    Now the issue.
    I started getting corrosion on the aluminum coping which appeared to be coming from the inside out (Concrete around pool).
    I hired the original pool installer to make repairs. When he arrived he told me my water was messed up (his language was a bit more harsh). They took a water sample and went about filling the holes with body putty and then spot painted.
    I sampled also and got FC=3.6, CC=0 pH=7.5 Alk=90 CYA=20 (all by Taylor Titration) TDS=175 (Electronic). I do not bother with calcium hardness since it's a vinyl liner pool.
    The Pool company secretary called me later and told me to dump 7 bags of salt in the pool (They obviously messed that up since it's a fresh water pool) and said my Salt was 1400 PPM.
    I took a sample to a different company and they also got 1400 PPM salt??? They also showed TDS was 1850??

    My question is -- Where did the salt come from?? I have never changed out the water since installation in 2002-- Just rain and well water from a hose to compensate for evaporation.
    Would this be a result of the Sodium component of the bleach?? And what can I do to lower the salt level if that's the issue.

    I'd appreciate any expert advice.
    Last edited by hamop78; 06-25-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Miss type spelling
    In-Ground, Vinyl, 27038 Gallons, Fresh Water, CAT 2000 Controller, BBB, Haywood equipment with Perflex DE Filter, Homebrew Solar System (only works when the sun shines);)

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad woodyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    9,002

    Re: Salt in Fresh Water Pool

    How are you chlorinating your pool?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central PA USA
    Posts
    18

    Re: Salt in Fresh Water Pool

    Yep -- see original post
    BBB --- 8.25% bleach from automatic controller based on ORP
    In-Ground, Vinyl, 27038 Gallons, Fresh Water, CAT 2000 Controller, BBB, Haywood equipment with Perflex DE Filter, Homebrew Solar System (only works when the sun shines);)

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,999

    Re: Salt in Fresh Water Pool

    Chlorine and muriatic acid slowly add salt over time. There could be some in your well water too. To lower salt level you have to drain water and replace. No reason to though, 1400 ppm of salt isn't hurting anything and it makes your water a little easier on your skin and eyes. I would raise CYA to 30 or 40. The most important thing to avoid corrosion is to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8 with 7.6 to 7.8 being ideal. PH below 7.0 is corrosive to pool equipment.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central PA USA
    Posts
    18

    Re: Salt in Fresh Water Pool

    Thanks --- I doubt if my pH has ever been "out of spec" except when doing stain removal at the end of the season every 3 or 4 years and their are no swimmers when I do that.
    If anything it'll go high (pH) if I'm not paying attention to the acid supply tank and it runs out.
    I think the Pool company instant analysis is unfounded ---- but since they are the "Professionals" and know all (especially selling their Pool Junk)..............
    Again Thanks for your weigh-in --- Maybe Chem Geek will chime in with a chemistry lesson. I envy his pool wisdom
    In-Ground, Vinyl, 27038 Gallons, Fresh Water, CAT 2000 Controller, BBB, Haywood equipment with Perflex DE Filter, Homebrew Solar System (only works when the sun shines);)

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Posts
    250

    Re: Salt in Fresh Water Pool

    Bleach starts its life as salt and breaks back down into salt as its disenfecting capacity is used up.
    ETA. Every gallon of 8.25 bleach you add based on your pool volume increases salt by 5.2
    30k in ground vinyl lined pool surrounded by decking in the woods.
    Hayward sand filter circa mid 80's
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central PA USA
    Posts
    18

    Re: Salt in Fresh Water Pool

    Quote Originally Posted by hamop78 View Post
    Thanks --- I doubt if my pH has ever been "out of spec" except when doing stain removal at the end of the season every 3 or 4 years and their are no swimmers when I do that.
    If anything it'll go high (pH) if I'm not paying attention to the acid supply tank and it runs out.
    I think the Pool company instant analysis is unfounded ---- but since they are the "Professionals" and know all (especially selling their Pool Junk)..............
    Again Thanks for your weigh-in --- Maybe Chem Geek will chime in with a chemistry lesson. I envy his pool wisdom
    Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Chlorine and muriatic acid slowly add salt over time. There could be some in your well water too. To lower salt level you have to drain water and replace. No reason to though, 1400 ppm of salt isn't hurting anything and it makes your water a little easier on your skin and eyes. I would raise CYA to 30 or 40. The most important thing to avoid corrosion is to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8 with 7.6 to 7.8 being ideal. PH below 7.0 is corrosive to pool equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by basod View Post
    Bleach starts its life as salt and breaks back down into salt as its disenfecting capacity is used up.
    ETA. Every gallon of 8.25 bleach you add based on pool your pool volume increasing salt by 5.2
    In my previous lifetime about (50 years ago) I worked at a chemical company in Houston TX and we made commercial bleach ---- If I remember (and I might not--- senior moments) we used Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda) (NAOH) and injected liquid chlorine (CL2) into it --- this created an exothermic reaction producing heat and about 15% bleach. I remember we would try for a higher percentage but it would break done quickly and the bosses would raise -----
    Anyway -- I have no recollection of using salt but maybe that was how the caustic soda started.

    Either way I thank you for the calculation. Interpolating from your calculation I should have used 269.2 Gallons of 8.25% Bleach. I'm not sure I want to try to validate my purchases since 2004 since it started at 5% then 6.25 and now 8.25%.....I do know I go through about 30+ cases (3 * 121 oz) per summer.

    WOW this makes my head hurt

    Thanks again for your help.
    In-Ground, Vinyl, 27038 Gallons, Fresh Water, CAT 2000 Controller, BBB, Haywood equipment with Perflex DE Filter, Homebrew Solar System (only works when the sun shines);)

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Divin Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Longview, Texas
    Posts
    4,926

    Re: Salt in Fresh Water Pool

    And of course through the process of dilution due to rain etc, the salt is also diluted. Then added back in after the rain/ overflow is over.... LOL. Which is why usually the salt level never gets overly high in a non-swg pool.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Posts
    250

    Re: Salt in Fresh Water Pool

    Quote Originally Posted by hamop78 View Post
    In my previous lifetime about (50 years ago) I worked at a chemical company in Houston TX and we made commercial bleach ---- If I remember (and I might not--- senior moments) we used Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda) (NAOH) and injected liquid chlorine (CL2) into it --- this created an exothermic reaction producing heat and about 15% bleach. I remember we would try for a higher percentage but it would break done quickly and the bosses would raise -----
    Anyway -- I have no recollection of using salt but maybe that was how the caustic soda started.

    Either way I thank you for the calculation. Interpolating from your calculation I should have used 269.2 Gallons of 8.25% Bleach. I'm not sure I want to try to validate my purchases since 2004 since it started at 5% then 6.25 and now 8.25%.....I do know I go through about 30+ cases (3 * 121 oz) per summer.

    WOW this makes my head hurt

    Thanks again for your help.
    You are correct in the industrial process of making bleach. The inputs to the process NaOH and Cl2 are created by electrolysis using salt water. Salt to salt dust to dust enjoy your pool while on earth
    30k in ground vinyl lined pool surrounded by decking in the woods.
    Hayward sand filter circa mid 80's
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central PA USA
    Posts
    18

    Re: Salt in Fresh Water Pool

    Thanks to all who responded to my issue. Lots of good info

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •