Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just curious - can high load of sunscreen cause cloudy?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Baltimore MD

Just curious - can high load of sunscreen cause cloudy?

Can excessive bather sunscreen cause a cloudy pool or would it be that the sunscreen lowers the free chlorine and then algae makes it cloudy. I'm just curious, mine is sparkling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just curious - can high load of sunscreen cause cloudy?

Perhaps a bit of both. Any suspended particles in the water can make it cloudy, be it algae, sunscreen, pollen, dust, etc. Any organic matter in the water will increase chlorine usage. I'm not a chemist, so I can't comment on the effect of chlorine on sunscreen. More than likely however, high bather load will add more organics to the water and will therefore eat up more chlorine regardless of the amount of sunscreen that is added to the water.
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

3. Back To Top    #3

Sacramento, CA

Depending on the number of bathers and how long they are in the pool yes.

In my 23K pool 5 or six after a couple hours results in the water becoming slightly cloudy. I make sure my stenner pump is dosing the pool and that generally keeps it crystal clear or close too it.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4
    Longview, Texas

Yup. High bather load wearing sunscreen can deplete the FC fairly quick. If you are going to lots of swimmers its not a bad idea to bump up the FC by 2 so you have a little headroom.

If the water is cloudy, I wold recommend to go ahead and elevate the FC to SLAM level for a day to clear it up.
    Nothing wrong with swimming with FC up to slam level.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!