Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does Phosphate Affect SWG Chlorine Production?????

1. Back To Top    #1

Does Phosphate Affect SWG Chlorine Production?????

Today, a Jandy's technician came to my house to troubleshoot issues I had with my SWG. He tested my water and advised me that my phosphate levels were high (500PPM), which I knew, but ignored as all I have read on this forum indicates that as long as my FC is at the appropriate level phosphate was a non issue. My pool water is crystal clear and I have no algae issues. However, the technician advised me to use a phosphate remover as phosphate affects Chlorine production. This is the first time I hear this. Does anyone has any knowledge about this fact? Is this true? and if so to what extend?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am debating if I should use a phosphate remover or just leaves things alone. Thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter.
    Last edited by RESISTENCIA13; 06-25-2016 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling error
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does Phosphate Affect SWG Chlorine Production?????

Not true. Phosphate has no effect at all on Chlorine production.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the feedback Divin Dave!
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

4. Back To Top    #4

Note that phosphates are measured in ppb. 500 ppb is 0.5 ppm.

Phosphates don't affect production. If phosphates were super high, they might contribute to scaling, which could cause problems. At 500ppb, there shouldn't be any problems.

What problems did the SWG have?

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi James!

It was not reading salinity accurately. So they calibrated it. Phosphate can contribute to scaling? Please elaborate as my pool has scaling issues and I am working on solving it. CH is 325PPM now as I drained and refilled in May.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Note that phosphates are measured in ppb. 500 ppb is 0.5 ppm.

Phosphates don't affect production. If phosphates were super high, they might contribute to scaling, which could cause problems. At 500ppb, there shouldn't be any problems.

What problems did the SWG have?
    Last edited by RESISTENCIA13; 06-25-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Add text

6. Back To Top    #6

Only really high phosphate levels cause calcium phosphate scaling. Your scale is probably regular calcium carbonate.

7. Back To Top    #7

See attached pictures. The jandy guy said I had 500 PPM not PPB. What do you think?

Only really high phosphate levels cause calcium phosphate scaling. Your scale is probably regular calcium carbonate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

500 ppm is very unlikely. The service person almost definitely would not have a test that measured 500 ppm.

Calcium carbonate scale will bubble with muriatic acid, calcium phosphate won't. Try a drop of acid on the scale.

9. Back To Top    #9

I ordered my own phosphate test kit (Taylor) so I will confirm the reading soon. The pool is not drained anymore so I will not be able to drop acid on the scale. However, I did tried acid wash the scale when it was drained and recalled seeing bubbles. Thanks for the tips!

500 ppm is very unlikely. The service person almost definitely would not have a test that measured 500 ppm.

Calcium carbonate scale will bubble with muriatic acid, calcium phosphate won't. Try a drop of acid on the scale.