Skimmer not flowing, bad valve?

Mar 7, 2012
Mountain Brook, AL
I have been working on a neighbor's pool for the last 9 days SLAMming the algae problem. My trouble now is that the skimmer basket is no longer moving water, and there is air in the pump basket and through the exit jets. Both suction side valves are old and I have used the skimmer valve several times in the last week. I believe it may have failed. I closed it to partially drain the pool 2x over the week because of very high CYA. At the time when I was draining, and the water reached a certain point below the jets, the pump quit sending water to waste and I turned it off. The skimmer basket valve was closed but was making a sucking gurgling noise as if letting air in.

I also started adding DE to the sand filter yesterday to help clear the water. Maybe that pushed it over the edge. I was careful to add 1/4 cup and watch filter pressure, not adding more than 3/4 cup total.

I checked the pump lid gasket and it looks ok. If the valve is the problem then I can replace it but will have to dig into the cement as the base of the valve is at ground level and I can't see another way to add a coupling and another valve.

As a test, I closed the drain valve to see if water would move in the skimmer but it doesn't.
Also, as I close and open the skimmer valve it changes the air flow to the pump basket, but no water flow to skimmer. It also changes pressure gauge by a couple of lbs.

Is this just a valve problem or something else?
Thanks!
Sean

Does the valve not have screws so you can take it apart? Or do you have the cheaper ball valve version?

Have you backwashed the filter since you started slamming?

Has the filter pressure changed from before (i.e. lower than normal)?

If so, you might have a clogged impeller. Remove the pump basket and see if you can reach the inlet from there to clear it out. Otherwise, you may need to take apart the pump.

Yesterday, before I started adding DE, I put in a new pressure gauge. Not sure what pressure was before then, but system worked fine before these changes.

If I turn the seemingly dead skimmer valve off and on then the pressure changes, and seems to add more bubbles to the system. When I added DE the first time the skimmer received it well and pulled it in.

I'll check thout impeller tomorrow. I'd be surprised if something is in there as I've had a close eye on this pool for the last week+. If I need to replace the valve it looks like I can do it Monday.

Thanks for thinking it through.

Well, it turns out that it was a very minor issue and I share it to hopefully keep someone from making the same simple mistake.

As I mentioned, I was doing this for a neighbor and I just today discovered that the bottom base of their skimmer bowl has 2 pipes. One goes to the pump, and one passes through the pool wall and looks like a regular wall jet. The pump pipe opening in the bowl has a swinging cover which had closed, thus cutting off the suction. I know I caused it to close when I was adding DE to the sand filter. I poured premixed water and DE from a bucket into the skimmer bowl and the turbulence caused the little cover to swing closed. I recall not pouring it quickly, but it still disrupted the flow enough to close it. My pool does not have 2 pipes in the skimmer bowl so I never would have guessed. :brickwall:

So glad I didn't tear anything out to try and fix something that wasn't broken!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.