Need Help, Number provided

Apr 8, 2008
Green Pond Sludge...Chlorine dumps, now looking great not all the way clear but getting there.

Leslies Numbers Yesterday, we knew it would look about like this...bad bad rains, on top of pool issues after broken SWG circuit board. 18K pool, salt

FC 1.5
ph 8.6
TA 240
CH 40
CYA 0 zilch
Salt 2300
Temp around 77

Recs were 1 gallon Acid, 6 lbs conditioner, 3 bags salt
What we did, 1 gallon, 3lbs conditioner (1/2 the rec), 3 bags salt

Tests today with TFT

FC 1.5 we dont agree on 1 vs 2, so we went with 1.5 :roll:
PH 8.2 Remember the gallon of Muriatic acid?
TA 470!! This is where it gets tricky...our TFT kit has some problems. Our R-0010 says Alkalinity test, but of course is for CH....we dont use it in the TA test but am wondering if something else is mislabled as well causing this reading? when we first got the kit we couldnt get it to read TA regardless of how many drops we put in. I have no doubt it is high now and was high then...but no reading? and 470? Now it does start doing flashes of red well before the 470 reading, but they disappear quickly.
CH 40 exactly what Leslie's says, so that mislabled R-0010 must be fine? My TA test is what confuses me.
CYA 30 remember the 3 lbs stabilzer we put in? they rec 6 so maybe it would be dead on if we put the other rec amount? or should we wait? how long til stabilzer is well distributed?
Salt 3000 per the box. We put in the 3 rec bags, sounds about right.

SO...
1 gallon of acid? and hardly a thing?
My TA test kit?
More Stabilizer?
Where should I go from here?

You need a lot more chlorine or you are going to be back to a green pool. 15ppm and hold it there. Check at least every 8 hours, more often if you can. With no CYA, the sun will rapidly consume all of your chlorine. You need to get started adding enogh CYA to meet your SWCG manufaturers recommendations.

we held the Chlorine there for days before now, but we still should have it there? all algae is gone. what about my other numbers? I guess I am trying to figure out why I need it at 15 still? why continue to keep it at shock value?

Where should I go from here?

1. Go to your signature and modify it to list your pool size and type. Type of filter, etc.

2. Get some more muriatic in your pool. Get your pH in the mid 7's. Use Jason's calculator for dosage.

3. Assuming your SWG is working, put in enough stabilizer to get to 60ppm

4. Get your chlorine up to 15ppm and keep it there, as JohnT suggests.

You should start to see improvemet quickly if you preform the above tasks.

Then post a full set of test results......
Use the FAS/DPD test for chlorine, not the one in the blue box.
The labeled R-0010 is R-0010....use it for the clacium test (sorry it's mislabeled)
The stabilizer will take a few days to dissolve. perform CYA test 3-4 days after adding it.
When you do the TA test, wipe the dropper tip with a damp cloth in between drops. That'll give you a much larger drop and a different test result.

why continue to keep it at shock value?

Read "How to Shock a pool" in Pool School

texaspoolnewbie said:
we held the Chlorine there for days before now, but we still should have it there? all algae is gone. what about my other numbers? I guess I am trying to figure out why I need it at 15 still? why continue to keep it at shock value?

You have no CYA to buffer your chlorine. 1.5ppm could burn off in an hour of full sunlight. If you don't go with a high level, you'll never make it all day with any chlorine left, which will lead you back to algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.