Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time saving idea or potential trouble?

1. Back To Top    #1

Time saving idea or potential trouble?

I've determined my pool eats 3ppm of chlorine a day, assuming full sun. That works out to me adding 104oz of 10% bleach, or 119 oz of 8.3% bleach (basically the whole bottle of Costco clorox).

Anyway, I was debating the idea of rather than increasing from 3ppm to 6ppm each night, could I save some trouble and add 6ppm every other night? My target FC based on CYA is 6, so I would be going to 9, then letting it drop to 3 over two days.

Not sure if that could be a problem or maybe a decent idea to ease up on the bleach measuring each night. I have mostly 10% Walmart bleach so I'm adding 104 oz each night which isn't hard but still, it's one extra chore each night.

Thoughts?

27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time saving idea or potential trouble?

Give it a try and see how it works out. You would be staying under slam levels so it should be ok. Don't be surprised if you lose more FC bumping it to 9ppm. Excess FC tends to burn off quicker.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Two thoughts... What is your CYA and is there a modest level increase that could better protect your chlorine?

For what you are spending in time and bleach... would you be happier installing an SWG and eliminating the daily bleach dance?
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

4. Back To Top    #4

Or you could do like I have, and make your own automated chlorine dispenser.

My $25 auto chlorinator DIY project

Once you get the timing set right, it works wonderfully, and I add bleach every once in a while to the supply bucket.
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome DIY project!

I might consider a swg but not now. New pool and all, I'll stick with this for a bit.

CYA is 30. Some weeks it says 40, some weeks 30 and I haven't added any CYA so I assume measurement error. So I'm in that range.

27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100