Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: swg will not keep up

1. Back To Top    #1

spring hill fl

swg will not keep up

My salt water system just will not keep up and I have to add chlorine weekly. I am at about 50 on cya which is a little low I know but still seems I should be able to keep up. I even returned my old swg for a new one thinking it was defective but new one is the same. I keep the pool spotless from debris and even run boost cycles which will raise it some but right after that when it goes to normal cycles I loose my chlorine in a day or 2. please help I would hate to goto a chlorine pool.
    Total Noob!
    Spring Hill, FL.
    5455 gal AG Vinyl pool
    635t Intex filter (cartridge)
    Krystal Clear 7110 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Medicine Hat, Alberta

Re: swg will not keep up

I have had the same problem with my Intex SWG cell, especially when pool temp and bather load increase. This sent me back to pool school, once again, after a bit more reading I adjusted my CYA up to the 70-80 range recommended and it now is purring along nicely
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    12.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump
    Aqua Trol SWG
    Solar heat coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank
    Hayward DV-4000 suction pool cleaner "Freddie"

3. Back To Top    #3
    Amelia Island, FL

For SWG plaster, 60-80 is recommended. If your FL pool is uncovered (no pool cage) then closer to 80 may be best.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

+1 to raising your CYA to 80, that is why it is the recommended range, it will help significantly with FC loss to the sun. Also, to be sure there isn't a little algae consuming your chlorine do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Chandler AZ

Your SWG pool is a chlorine pool. The SWG generates chlorine. I agree that you would benefit from raising your CYA - to between 70 and 80. You may want to try 70 first to see how that works for you. You can always add more to get to 80 if needed.

In any case, if the SWG is not keeping up, supplement with liquid chlorine.
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment