New pump - crazy quote!

TonyWI

May 21, 2015
Wauwatosa, WI
Hi folks...

Into the third season of pool ownership, and I'm just having a heck of a time finding trustworthy, dependable & affordable pool equipment dealers. Up here in SE WI, there aren't a lot of options. Most places won't touch a pool if they didn't install it -- leaving only two or three dealer options.

The latest saga is what I thought was a simple old pump replacement with a new Pentair IntelliFlo VST.

Looking at 011018 or 011055. Amazon, & internet running around $800-900. Not sure I can even find anyone to sell me a 011055, but first the story.

Quote I received to:
- Remove old pump
- Install new pump
- Required minimal pipe rework
- Labor, travel etc.

Was..... just under $3000. $3000! (No electric included. Drop it in, hook it up.)

I guess my question is two parts. 1) Is this normal, and do I just need to reset my expectations around markup and labor? 2) Should I just do this myself, save a ton of money with the understanding of no real warranty from Pentair? Heck. I can buy three of the pumps, have two spares and still be ahead.

I'll be getting another quote, but like I said... only a few options. Most seem similar, with the same outrageous markup.

Advice?

Tony

P.S. I'm handy, and can probably figure this out. And I have a trustworthy electrician and plumber to fall back on.
P.P.S. I won't even bother to share the quote I got to repaint the pool. I could vomit.

Are you replacing your old pump with a new pump that will be wired to same voltage, same breaker, etc? If so, in theory it is simply a question of switching wires! One tip, take a lot of detailed pictures of the dismantling of the old pump - before, during and after, including all the plumbing, etc. Also - make sure you shut off breakers to the whole set up (heater, swg if you have one, etc)....

Another option is do the plumbing yourself, then get an electrician in for final wiring....

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

HI and welcome.

If you are reasonably handy I'd say it can be a DIY project. We just replaced our pump motor with no pool mechanical experience. Took us all day on a Saturday but we got it done. As far as electrical, it depends on what you already have in place and if that is already in good shape and up to code. Our install was straightforward with retiring the new motor.

Check out Inyo Pools DIY YouTube videos they were very helpful for us. Take pictures of what you have as you take things apart.

You could just replace the motor of your current pump with a two speed and save a ton of money. That would likely have a lower lifetime cost than a new VS unless your power company is given you a big rebate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.