Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a chemical to detect urine in the pool?

Re: Is there a chemical to detect urine in the pool?

Quote Originally Posted by sbluhm

On a slightly different but similar note, I was hoping to hear thoughts on blood in the pool. I'm sure everyone may be grossed out, but kids have scabs that get wet and rip off and bleed, or feet that bleed after being in the pool for 30 hours straight, etc. Is blood a major concern, like a Caddy Shack evacuation? Or just another intruder the chlorine will seek and destroy?
    Bloodborne pathogens are quickly killed by normal FC levels. The CDC says that commercial pools do not need to be closed down after a blood spill but some commercial pools do it as a matter of course.
    http://www.cdc.gov/HealthySwimming/bloodandvomit.htm

Vomitus in pool water is actually more common and more of a problem. It is treated the same as for a formed stool fecal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by learthur
    Not that this makes it any less gross, but technically urine is sterile unless you have a urinary tract infection.

The real question is how long and how much chlorine does it take to remove it from your pool?
    Urine is sterile until it reaches the urethra where the epithelial cells lining the urethra are colonized by facultatively aerobic Gram negative rods and cocci.
    Urine is toxic and can be irritating to skin and eyes.

This is from wikipedia article on urine.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine

Ryan

I have a sign that says my pool has a "Uretek Urine Detector." It is supposed to be humorous but I can tell people take it seriously because everyone gives a nervous laugh.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

Quote Originally Posted by opl3sa
    Urine is sterile until it reaches the urethra where the epithelial cells lining the urethra are colonized by facultatively aerobic Gram negative rods and cocci.
    It is sterile. If you have gram negative rods and cocci in your urethra, you have a urinary tract infection. There is no normal flora in the urinary tract and thus, it is sterile.
    TFP Moderator
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkly
    I have a sign that says my pool has a "Uretek Urine Detector." It is supposed to be humorous but I can tell people take it seriously because everyone gives a nervous laugh.
    I think that is fairly hilarious.
    TFP Moderator
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

this is kinda funny we have a 1 1/2 old nephew and he came over for a swim this weekend, i always test the water everyday, me and my wife are the only ones who swim in it, and it never have any cc when i did the testing later that night the cc was up to 0.5....so i figured it was pee
    18ft 52in deep doughboy 8000 gallons
    22 in sand filter
    1 1/2 pump
    tk-2006 test kit that rocks!
    12.5% chlorine
    aqua critter vac

Quote Originally Posted by sbluhm
    Funny topic and very informative. We have a compromise for our 3 year old, told him he can just go pee behind the shed.. hopefully easy enough for him that he won't go in the pool. Thought it was a great idea until he got in trouble at school the other day on the playground.. peeing behind the tree. Had a hard time explaining that one (to him and the teacher!)
    I suspect they are used to it. We live accross the street from and community center and city park, but the bathrooms in the community center and at the ball field are each 80-100 yards from the playground which seems to be too far for some of the nannies.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

[quote="link147"]I told my 6 year old nephew that we put this chemical in the pool. Later he came up to me and said, "The water never turned red!"

HILARIOUS
    5440 gal., 18 x 4 intex, unicel cartridge, AG, Krystal Klear 635t 1500 gph-new this year, 4th year for pool, BBB

It is not easy to detect when a kid pees in the pool. Unless, of course, they do it while they are standing on the diving board.

My wife just knows when someone has, or is in the process of, peeing in the pool. Sixth sense, highly developed intuition or maybe the self-satisfied expression on the culprits face? I can't be sure.
    "Inherited" Cornelius 18'x54" Round AGP (Steel walls), Hayward Pro Series 21" Sand Filter, ClubPro (Jacuzzi) 1HP single speed pump, Lumi-O Festiva steps, Toile-Soleil mesh leaf net/winter cover. That's about it.

1 cup of urine contains 2891 mg N of nitrogenous compounds (mostly urea) so in a 10,000 gallon pool would use up at least 0.6 ppm FC though not right away (but probably within a few days if the pool is exposed to sunlight; urea is slow to get oxidized by chlorine). I have personal experience of this effect in Unusual Chlorine Demand -- Peeing in the Pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"