Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: VINYL Liner Connection Separation

1. Back To Top    #1
    Florence, SC

VINYL Liner Connection Separation

I really don't know how to explain this so I've posted a photo.pool liner.jpg
    The top of the liner is supposed to stay behind the track above it. Here you can see an approx. 4 inch section that has slipped out of its track.
    If I press it, it will go near to where it should be but not stay. It's really difficult to press like there is extra wall foam behind it. But I don't really know.
    This is the only spot I've seen like this.
    How worried should I be? Can I fill the split with silicone (it's less than 1/8") but I know silicone won't keep it from spreading if that's what's going on. Or should I call the installer? The liner was replaced 4 years ago when we bought the house.
    Last edited by melbajr; 06-25-2016 at 06:07 AM. Reason: photo
    Grecian 11,800 gal. IG vinyl, Pentair TA-60 sand filter, 1.5 hp Superflo, built in 2007, replaced vinyl & converted to Intellichlor IC-40 SWG in 2012 after we purchased home. TF-100 Testkit, SWG manufacturer recommends salt levels 2600-4500, ideal being 3400-3500. Polaris 180 vac.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: VINYL Liner Connection Separation

It could be that the liner track below the coping has sagged in that area or the bead on the liner has flattened/stretched. You could try installing a small section of liner lock. Quaker Plastics Pool Liner Lock (120 PER BAG) - QP1562 -
    You may be able to buy a smaller piece from a pool store since most I've seen online are 120' rolls... much more than you need unless you plan on doing the whole pool.

I would not use silicone as it won't provide a good physical hold on the liner and will be a hassle to remove.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: VINYL Liner Connection Separation

Quick tip: Moving with your liner is pretty difficult. You can adjust it much easier by pouring nearly boiling water on the liner. It really takes the stiffness out. BTW, this tip was from the liner manufacturer when they hand delivered our liner to us after they mis-cut our first liner (so it should be safe to do).
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV