Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH and FC question

1. Back To Top    #1

PH and FC question

Hi,
    I am new to all this and I have been reading up. I have had my pool for 3 weeks. It got really murky and cloudy. I have added bleach and it is looking better. My DH tested the water tonight and he says the FC is between 3-5 and my PH is 8.2. We just hooked up our new sand filter tonight. What should my priority be? Lowering the PH? I had to buy a test kit from wal mart. I will have one arriving in the mail soon. Thanks for any advice.
    16x48 Intex Ultra Pool
    3000 sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH and FC question

You've been using the pool for 3 weeks without a filter? Have you been treating the water with bleach all that time?

Have you added any stabilizer yet to "hold" your chlorine protected from the sun?

Get a gallon of muriatic acid from Lowes and using PoolMath application, *carefully* add enough MA to bring your pH down to 7.2. You also should start planning on doing a SLAM to get the pool pristine clean and clear once you get a decent test kit.

Once the kit comes in tell us:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH (not terribly important for vinyl pool...don't add any calcium)
    CYA

We'll be ready to help guide you when we know where your water stands, 'k?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: PH and FC question

Thanks. I had the filter that came with the pool but it was awful. I should get my test kit soon. I have been reading and yes I had stabilizer in the form of the pucks floating in the pool. I thought the pucks were just chlorine but I have it straight now. I am learning quite a bit tonight. I hope my test kit arrives soon.
    16x48 Intex Ultra Pool
    3000 sand filter