Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preparing for vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

Preparing for vacation

We will be out of town for a week and I'm looking for suggestions on how to prevent total FC loss and algae growth. I was considering bringing FC up to shock level and putting some Trichlor pucks in the feeder while I'm gone. Any advice?
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Preparing for vacation

Unless you can have someone test and add chlorine while you're gone, what you outlined is a good plan. Don't forget to test CYA carefully on your return and adjust your FC levels accordingly.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a bubble cover? When a pool is covered it loses a lot less FC per day. Only down side is the water will get really warm.

Bump up the chlorine and float some pucks is about all you can do. You could add Polyquat algaecide as insurance but the high FC levels will eat it up.

You don't have any neighborhood kids that would be willing to dump a quart of bleach in each day for $50??

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Unfortunately no cover nor help to add chlorine at this time.
    Is a floater a better option than using the feeder? Only thinking it would be more of a constant vs only adding chlorine while pump is running?
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd use both and just split up the trichlor dose.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Be sure you check your CYA level before you load up the pucks. If it is running high be aware that you may need to exchange some water when you get back. A couple of hours before you leave bump the chlorine up to shock level and let it circulate. Do you have the pump on a timer or plan to let it run 24/7 while you are away?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

CYA is relatively low now, rounded up to 40, I'm actually trying to raise it a bit to help combat some of the daily FC loss. My pump is on a timer, runs 7 hours a day.