Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weekend home/new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Weekend home/new pool

I am completely new to owning a pool. We just installed a 27' above ground pool in our weekend house for our grandchildren. Since this is only used on the weekends (till we retire) I would like to know if I can maintain the pool using liquid chlorine added weekly, rather than using the inline chlorinator. We come up on the weekends and the chlorine level is zero. We shock it with liquid chlorine and have added the pucks, but after reading some threads I am concerned I may be adding other undesirable ingredients that are in the pucks. Is it even possible to maintain the water with only liquid chlorine and checking weekly? I'm thinking I may need to leave the chlorine level high on Sunday's, so there is residual chlorine in the pool until Friday. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    Deb Schuldt
    27' 52" above ground Radiant Pool
    Hayward 1.5 hp sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Weekend home/new pool

your at about 9000 (no idea how I got 9000 from a 27 foot pool, sorry) about 18,000 gallons, the easiest way would be to use a stenner pump and chlorine setup or a saltwater generator.. I have and love a SWG and once the water is setup and the power stays on it could get you through the week easily

Are you doing your own testing, It will be way easier if you know exactly what is going on with your water..

They have some drop in SWG now that may work great for you, the same one if you like you could put inline or you could get one that would work really well.. we recommend 2 to 3 times the size of your pool, so a 20k to 40K SWG would work..

here is the drop in one that can also be piped in, I have this one on my spa and it worked great Amazon.com : MegaChlor DO Salt Water Pool and Swim Spa Chlorine Generator, Drape Over Easy Install with 10 power levels, boost mode and control box : Patio, Lawn Garden

here is a comparison chart on SWG's
    Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    your at about 9000 gallons, the easiest way would be to use a stenner pump and chlorine setup or a saltwater generator.. I have and love a SWG and once the water is setup and the power stays on it could get you through the week easily

Are you doing your own testing, It will be way easier if you know exactly what is going on with your water..

They have some drop in SWG now that may work great for you, the same one if you like you could put inline or you could get one that would work really well.. we recommend 2 to 3 times the size of your pool, so a 20k to 40K SWG would work..

here is the drop in one that can also be piped in, I have this one on my spa and it worked great Amazon.com : MegaChlor DO Salt Water Pool and Swim Spa Chlorine Generator, Drape Over Easy Install with 10 power levels, boost mode and control box : Patio, Lawn Garden

here is a comparison chart on SWG's
    Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

I hope this helps
    It absolutely does help thank you.
    I must not understand how to calculate gallons because I was figuring around 17,000 gallons. I am adding borax today so I guess I better recalculate. Do you know how long you should wait before letting my grandchildren into the pool after that? Thanks so much for the advise.
    Deb Schuldt
    27' 52" above ground Radiant Pool
    Hayward 1.5 hp sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

poolmath is you friend, http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

at the bottom it does the calculations for you

you can go in the pool if the water is clear and you can clearly see the bottom and your FC is under SLAM/shock level for your CYA
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

More like 18200 gallons 9000 is way off.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by bizrad8381 View Post
    More like 18200 gallons 9000 is way off.
    thanks for catching that

7. Back To Top    #7

No problem