I made a mistake......

moreira85

Nov 8, 2015
Boston, MA
My pool water has been crystal clear. Went away for a few days, came home and the water was a little low due to evaporation. I have well water and the back yard spigot is filtered through sediment filter and softener. The front yard is not filtered at all. I put the hose in the water and used the front yard spigot. I went out for a couple hours and come home and SURPRISE! The water in the deep end is brown and some iron particles on the bottom of the pool. Lovely! So now I gotta get this cleaned up. I turned the pool on and figured I'd let it run through night and see what the DE filter can clean out? Then I'll vacuum tomorrow. Any advice?

Put some paper towels in the skimmer to help it grab what may still be suspended in the water. Keep things moving so nothing tries to settle and stain your pool. Try to encourage movement toward the skimmer and those towels. A higher pH and FC will make the iron precipitate out. See how things look tomorrow and post a full set of test results. Depending on how much remains, you may have to use a sequestrant to contain the metal and prevent it from staining yoru pool.

Well that was fun. Ran the filter through the night and got up and vacuumed all the sediment this morning. It looks real good. Did some testing.
PH 7.3
FC 6
TA 30
cya 70

i added baking soda to get the TA back up to 50-70 range, hopefully that will elevate ph to 7.5 also. Should i do anything else regarding the iron or will the DE filter remove it? Its really clear.

I think you're on the right track. Since we really don't know to what level iron may have increased (if much at all), just continue to keep the pool algae-free to avoid having to SLAM since an increased FC level could react with the metal. Keeping pH from getting too high is also good to watch. Hopefully you dodged a big bullet there by catching it so quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.