Filling pool with well water questions

Jun 24, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Hi, we are new pool owners and are filling our pool with well water. I read somewhere that the iron levels in well water can make water brown when chlorine is added. How do I know my iron levels? Is there a test? What do I use if this does happen? Sorry, we are new home owners and pool owners and well owners ?.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, iron in your water is an issue. While we almost never recommend going to the pool store, they can sometimes provide a decent metals test as part of their overall water testing. Just let them run a free test on your water sample (from the hose without chlorine added). If it's over .4ppm, you've got some challenges ahead of you. even if it's lower it can be tricky.

The key is pre-filtering, proper chemical levels, and the use of sequestrants. Rather than re-write everything here, I'm going to take the easy way out :p and provide you a thread to read from two other owners currently working the same issue this week. From this thread you'll see what needs to be done to help keep the metal monster under control.
Brown Water in Pool

Please look those threads over, strongly consider obtaining the proper test kit (TF-100 link below) and we'll be glad to help where we can. Very nice to have you with us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.