Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this line and how do I get rid of it?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this line and how do I get rid of it?

This white line appears just above the water line in my hot tub and is most prominent when the hot tub is on I.e. The water is hot - see photo

I do not see this around my pool.

Image1466815474.790321.jpg

Test results from today:
    pH 7.7
    FC 6.5
    CC 0.0
    CH 225
    TA 80
    CYA 60

Can someone advise what causes this and how to get rid of it?

Thanks
    Dave

In Ground Gunite with PebbleTec finish, 16.5ft x 35ft, 18600 gallons
    Elevated Spa with spillway
    Pentair Cartridge Filter, Pentair Pumps and Controller
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Located in Katy, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this line and how do I get rid of it?

Since the white line is fairly level, it looks like calcium deposits. Although your CH level is in-range (and you do not want to lower it given your pool surface), I would lower the pH slightly (say to 7.5 at first) and see if that helps fade the line.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    Since the white line is fairly level, it looks like calcium deposits. Although your CH level is in-range (and you do not want to lower it given your pool surface), I would lower the pH slightly (say to 7.5 at first) and see if that helps fade the line.
    That is why this forum is so great. I would never have thought of that. I was planning on lowering pH a little anyway as my grand daughter and I have been having some stingy eyes that I was attributing to high pH

Thanks for the help

In Ground Gunite with PebbleTec finish, 16.5ft x 35ft, 18600 gallons
    Elevated Spa with spillway
    Pentair Cartridge Filter, Pentair Pumps and Controller
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Located in Katy, TX

4. Back To Top    #4

Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Is it real stone or ceramic tile? If ceramic, some diluted muratic acid on a rag or brush will probably take it right off if the lowering of pH isn't helping. Making sure you wear proper protective gear of course.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall