First time testing water myself

How long has it been since the last time you filled the pool?
The CYA test is probably the hardest one to do accurately, and if you have replaced your water recently, I don't think your CYA would be that high.
If your CYA is indeed that high, your chlorine should be held at about 10ppm.

was in the same boat, my cya was 100-120 or thereabouts

had to drain a significant portion of my water...however even though i left 10-12 inches in the shallow end, it still caused some separation at an existing liner patch. so if you have a vinyl pool be careful about lowering it too far. better off lowering it, adding some water, mixing it up and then doing it again.

even though each time is technically less effective as the first, you dont want liner issues. however, I think OP posted he doesnt have vinyl, but fyi for others reading

The pool was re plastered and filled in 2007.
I am going to quit using the pucks and chlorinate with bleach.
The pool water is clear.

I will try to get this done today - 50/50 tap and pool water dilution and retest

Don't go. If it's the same, you might think you can trust their results in the future. If it's different, you may doubt yourself. Trust YOUR results.

Also, you can use a 10ml sample to test FC/CC. Divide the number of drops by 2. This will save on reagents.

Yesterday I obtained the cya 100ppm + following the instructions labeled underneath the top lid to test box.
Today I did the 50/50 test. I filled the small squeeze bottle with 3.5 liters of tap water and 3.5 of pool water. Added the R0013 to until it reached 14ml. Poured mixture into comparator tube until black dot disappeared. So I took that number(60) X 2 = 120ppm.
Then took sample of water to Leslie pool for cya test and they came up with 50ppm.
What could cause the difference in readings?
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I retested using the 50/50 tap and pool water dilution and I result is 120ppm. I am going to Leslies pool this evening have them test to see how close the two results are.

What are you going to do with that information? If it matches then you will incorrectly think their testing is reliable. If it doesn't match you will wonder whose test to believe. Believe your own testing and don't waste time and money going to the pool store.

TFP Home page read it and believe it nexx2!

TroubleFreePool.com exists to develop and promote a simple, inexpensive, and effective system of pool care.....Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC).

We provide a forum where pool owners can learn, develop and share their pool / spa knowledge.

We believe that armed with the power of understanding, any pool owner can achieve and maintain crystal clear water without reliance on the often unproductive advice and unneeded expense from pool stores.

We emphasize the importance of self management, self testing and a willingness to learn.

It is also our mission to help owners troubleshoot all parts of their pools....frequently allowing the owner to DIY a task that he/she could not accomplish alone.

With over 100,000 members, TFP is the largest and most influential pool & spa website on the Internet. The reason is simple: TFPC (Trouble Free Pool Care) is a methodology, not a product that you must purchase. It is being practiced by thousands of pool owners just like you.

Much of the chemistry you need to manage your pool, such as bleach for sanitation and baking soda for managing TA, are available at your local grocery store. The methods we teach are based on science, but they are simple, effective, and will save you money over traditional pool store methods.

We have a robust collection of articles on pool management in our Pool School. Here is a partial list:

•ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry (It's the place to start learning)
•The PoolMath Calculator (helps determine the amount of product to add to your pool based on test results)
•How to turn a Green Swamp into a Sparkling Oasis
•A Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment
•Using a Salt Water Chlorine Generator
•Pool Filter Comparisons
•Troubleshooting and Maintaining your Pump/Filter

If you decide to become a member (it's free), please read Before you Post in Pool School. You will be warmly welcomed. Courtesy and tolerance is mandatory from every single poster...people just starting out and seasoned veterans alike.

We'll take the mystery out of pool water management and your eyes will be opened to the finest and most cost-effective way to have a beautiful pool or spa. Your experience here will be extremely rewarding...we promise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.