Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time testing water myself

1. Back To Top    #1

First time testing water myself

I have a Taylor k2006. Here are my first results.

FC 2.2ppm
    CC .2ppm
    Ph 7.6
    TA 80ppm
    CH 200ppm
    CYA 100 +

Water is clear. Auto chlorinator with 3" trichlor pucks. Where do I start?

Thank you
    New Orleans, La., Taylor K2006, 12k gal pool/hot tub waterfall, IG plaster, Pentair Superflo 340042 1Hp 2 speed , sand filter, Centurion for polaris 280 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time testing water myself

Throw away the pucks and drain more than half your water. Fill with fresh water and buy bleach...lots of it.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

How long has it been since the last time you filled the pool?
    The CYA test is probably the hardest one to do accurately, and if you have replaced your water recently, I don't think your CYA would be that high.
    If your CYA is indeed that high, your chlorine should be held at about 10ppm.
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

was in the same boat, my cya was 100-120 or thereabouts

had to drain a significant portion of my water...however even though i left 10-12 inches in the shallow end, it still caused some separation at an existing liner patch. so if you have a vinyl pool be careful about lowering it too far. better off lowering it, adding some water, mixing it up and then doing it again.

even though each time is technically less effective as the first, you dont want liner issues. however, I think OP posted he doesnt have vinyl, but fyi for others reading
    Pool Type: In Ground, Liner. Shape: Free form/kidney
    Size: 32,000 gallons
    Filter/Pump: Brand new (2016) DE Hayward 4820 / Brand new (2016) Pentair VST 2
    Heater: Yes (older)
    Location: NJ. No tree/leaves overhead. Limited shrubs near/over waterfall feature

5. Back To Top    #5

You might want to do a 50/50 tap and pool water dilution and retest cya again. Tests don't read accurate over 100 so a diltuted test can confirm if even higher (mine was 320!)
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

+1 above. Know where your CYA is and then you can make a decision about draining vs. maintaining a high-ish FC. Is the water CRYSTAL clear?

7. Back To Top    #7

The pool was re plastered and filled in 2007.
    I am going to quit using the pucks and chlorinate with bleach.
    The pool water is clear.

I will try to get this done today - 50/50 tap and pool water dilution and retest
    New Orleans, La., Taylor K2006, 12k gal pool/hot tub waterfall, IG plaster, Pentair Superflo 340042 1Hp 2 speed , sand filter, Centurion for polaris 280 cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

I retested using the 50/50 tap and pool water dilution and I result is 120ppm. I am going to Leslies pool this evening have them test to see how close the two results are.

9. Back To Top    #9

Don't go. If it's the same, you might think you can trust their results in the future. If it's different, you may doubt yourself. Trust YOUR results.

Also, you can use a 10ml sample to test FC/CC. Divide the number of drops by 2. This will save on reagents.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yesterday I obtained the cya 100ppm + following the instructions labeled underneath the top lid to test box.
    Today I did the 50/50 test. I filled the small squeeze bottle with 3.5 liters of tap water and 3.5 of pool water. Added the R0013 to until it reached 14ml. Poured mixture into comparator tube until black dot disappeared. So I took that number(60) X 2 = 120ppm.
    Then took sample of water to Leslie pool for cya test and they came up with 50ppm.
    What could cause the difference in readings?
    Thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

Poor testing at the pool store. This is why we say over and over again that we don't trust pool store test results.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Don't know if you saw my post before you went to the pool store... You are at 120.

13. Back To Top    #13

I retested using the 50/50 tap and pool water dilution and I result is 120ppm. I am going to Leslies pool this evening have them test to see how close the two results are.

- - - Updated - - -

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for the inputs. I drained about 50% of water today and now refilling. Should I add anything to the water while it is filling?
    Wait to add until the water level is high enough to be able to circulate the add.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by nexx2 View Post
    What are you going to do with that information? If it matches then you will incorrectly think their testing is reliable. If it doesn't match you will wonder whose test to believe. Believe your own testing and don't waste time and money going to the pool store.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

I have to agree. go with your own results
    19k SW IG
    Wet Edge pebble tech = new 5/16 (replaster)
    Hayward variable speed pump (new 6/17) /Shark for cleaning
    New - filled 10/18/14 - TFP 100 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Home page read it and believe it nexx2!

TroubleFreePool.com exists to develop and promote a simple, inexpensive, and effective system of pool care.....Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC).

We provide a forum where pool owners can learn, develop and share their pool / spa knowledge.

We believe that armed with the power of understanding, any pool owner can achieve and maintain crystal clear water without reliance on the often unproductive advice and unneeded expense from pool stores.

We emphasize the importance of self management, self testing and a willingness to learn.

It is also our mission to help owners troubleshoot all parts of their pools....frequently allowing the owner to DIY a task that he/she could not accomplish alone.

With over 100,000 members, TFP is the largest and most influential pool & spa website on the Internet. The reason is simple: TFPC (Trouble Free Pool Care) is a methodology, not a product that you must purchase. It is being practiced by thousands of pool owners just like you.

Much of the chemistry you need to manage your pool, such as bleach for sanitation and baking soda for managing TA, are available at your local grocery store. The methods we teach are based on science, but they are simple, effective, and will save you money over traditional pool store methods.

We have a robust collection of articles on pool management in our Pool School. Here is a partial list:

•ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry (It's the place to start learning)
    •The PoolMath Calculator (helps determine the amount of product to add to your pool based on test results)
    •How to turn a Green Swamp into a Sparkling Oasis
    •A Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment
    •Using a Salt Water Chlorine Generator
    •Pool Filter Comparisons
    •Troubleshooting and Maintaining your Pump/Filter

If you decide to become a member (it's free), please read Before you Post in Pool School. You will be warmly welcomed. Courtesy and tolerance is mandatory from every single poster...people just starting out and seasoned veterans alike.

We'll take the mystery out of pool water management and your eyes will be opened to the finest and most cost-effective way to have a beautiful pool or spa. Your experience here will be extremely rewarding...we promise.
    24' Reprieve RD/AG/13K gal Vinyl TFP method
    Waterway Clearwater 175 sqft Cartridge
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 Test Kit SpeedStir Borate Insta Test
    Spreading TFP to All

18. Back To Top    #18

I believe OP is already draining 50%.

19. Back To Top    #19

Are you draining and refilling? I see that your "updated" post has disappeared. Let us know. We can help you better and cheaper than Leslie's!!!!

20. Back To Top    #20

Yes, I have drained about 50%. Should be full in a couple of hours and I can start circulation and test. Thanks for the welcome and the info. I know the members will be able to help me save money!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast