Hayward T-15 Superchlorinate Output

vnkt0207

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
I am fighting a cloudy pool with low FC. Not sure if FC is being consumed or not being produced. There is a tap just downstream of T-15 SWG and that water has FC=2 in super chlorinate mode with 3300 PPM salt. Does that sound reasonable? Hayward manual is useless in regards to this info.

Understand that SWCG cells have a finite life span. The more you run in 100% mode or super chlorinate the less years you get out of the cell. When you need chlorine quick, you need to supplement with liquid.

Your T-15 cell produces, at max output (100%), 1.4lbs of chlorine gas per day. In your 10,000 gallon pool that's 16ppm FC per day or 0.67ppm/hour. That's it. It doesn't make a difference if your cell is in superchlorinate mode.

Most cells are designed to last 10,000 hours. Your mileage may vary...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post all the diagnostic numbers and include the actual salinity level of the water.

Post your water test results.

A SWG can not make enough chlorine to clear a cloudy pool, you will have to SLAM it. If you have 2ppm of FC in a cloudy pool and you haven't added any other chlorine, I'd say the cell is working but it can't make enough chlorine to kill all the algae.

I've seen cells fail out of the box new, to lasting over 7 years.

... I inherited the pool and SWG, so not sure how old it is. How long should a cell last if used at %50 most of the time.

There is a date code in the serial number of the cell. For example 3E07xxx-xxxx is something like a 3 year warranty manufactured in 2007. Somewhere on the forum is description of the date code.

how long a cell lasts is also dependent on the conditions its run in and how frequently its acid washed. I got almost 10 years out of my first one.
Mark

Last night after sun down I added a gallon of 8.25% bleach which is enough to get to 8.5 FC. This morning FC was 2.0. Below are the other parameters:

pH=7.4
TA=80
CH=400
T=79 deg
CYA=75

T-15 Cell parameters:
79 deg
56P
Al-0
r1.59
t-15
Year 2007

I am in the process of getting to SLAM FC levels - (FC=30) to get rid of the cloudiness.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would only add that the cell is going on it's 9th year of use. It's nice to see a well designed product last that long as most installers will say that you're only going to get 3-5yrs max out of it. So just be on notice that you could be shelling out some big bucks in the near future for a new cell.

Also, the Aquarites of that time period had a known problem with their power supplies. A current limiter ($2 part) would frequently blow out rendering the SWG useless. It's a cheap fix but something you should be aware of. The newest models of power supplies were redesigned and no longer have that issue anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.