Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward T-15 Superchlorinate Output

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward T-15 Superchlorinate Output

I am fighting a cloudy pool with low FC. Not sure if FC is being consumed or not being produced. There is a tap just downstream of T-15 SWG and that water has FC=2 in super chlorinate mode with 3300 PPM salt. Does that sound reasonable? Hayward manual is useless in regards to this info.
    10000 IG plaster pool / Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sqqft cartridge filter / Aqua Rite SWG T-15/ Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward T-15 Superchlorinate Output

Understand that SWCG cells have a finite life span. The more you run in 100% mode or super chlorinate the less years you get out of the cell. When you need chlorine quick, you need to supplement with liquid.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, understood. Just trying to get an idea of what superchlorinate FC output should be. It usually runs at 40%.
    10000 IG plaster pool / Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sqqft cartridge filter / Aqua Rite SWG T-15/ Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The output is always the same ... The % setting is just the amount of time (out of 2 or 3 hours, can not remember the duty cycle) it is generating.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, so it is really not very useful a measure. I am also trying to gage how 'tired' the SWG is. I inherited the pool and SWG, so not sure how old it is. How long should a cell last if used at %50 most of the time.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hayward T-15 Superchlorinate Output

Your T-15 cell produces, at max output (100%), 1.4lbs of chlorine gas per day. In your 10,000 gallon pool that's 16ppm FC per day or 0.67ppm/hour. That's it. It doesn't make a difference if your cell is in superchlorinate mode.

Most cells are designed to last 10,000 hours. Your mileage may vary...

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

Post all the diagnostic numbers and include the actual salinity level of the water.

Post your water test results.

A SWG can not make enough chlorine to clear a cloudy pool, you will have to SLAM it. If you have 2ppm of FC in a cloudy pool and you haven't added any other chlorine, I'd say the cell is working but it can't make enough chlorine to kill all the algae.

I've seen cells fail out of the box new, to lasting over 7 years.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by vnkt0207 View Post
    ... I inherited the pool and SWG, so not sure how old it is. How long should a cell last if used at %50 most of the time.
    There is a date code in the serial number of the cell. For example 3E07xxx-xxxx is something like a 3 year warranty manufactured in 2007. Somewhere on the forum is description of the date code.

how long a cell lasts is also dependent on the conditions its run in and how frequently its acid washed. I got almost 10 years out of my first one.
    Mark
    20K IG gunite with attached spa, dark plaster and lava rock waterfall, very 90's. Pool equip refit in 2005 with all Sta-Rite cartridge filter, pump, and heater; Polaris sweep; Goldline Controller(Hayward) with T-Cell-15 SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

Last night after sun down I added a gallon of 8.25% bleach which is enough to get to 8.5 FC. This morning FC was 2.0. Below are the other parameters:

pH=7.4
    TA=80
    CH=400
    T=79 deg
    CYA=75

T-15 Cell parameters:
    79 deg
    56P
    Al-0
    r1.59
    t-15
    Year 2007

I am in the process of getting to SLAM FC levels - (FC=30) to get rid of the cloudiness.

10. Back To Top    #10

The diagnostics say the cell is producing chlorine without any problems. You need to complete the SLAM process and after that you shouldn't have any problems with the SWG keeping up.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

11. Back To Top    #11

I would only add that the cell is going on it's 9th year of use. It's nice to see a well designed product last that long as most installers will say that you're only going to get 3-5yrs max out of it. So just be on notice that you could be shelling out some big bucks in the near future for a new cell.

Also, the Aquarites of that time period had a known problem with their power supplies. A current limiter ($2 part) would frequently blow out rendering the SWG useless. It's a cheap fix but something you should be aware of. The newest models of power supplies were redesigned and no longer have that issue anymore.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates