Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster Pump Leak?

1. Back To Top    #1

Booster Pump Leak?

Is it normal for the booster pump to be leaking water when the filter is running? I'm assuming not so I turned the filter off. Any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix? Pics attached.

20160624_181620.jpg

20160624_181640.jpg
    David McCoy
    11K gal, IG fiberglass, Hayward self-priming pump, Pentair FNS Plus filter DE filter, Polaris cleaning robot, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Booster Pump Leak?

Your shaft seal is leaking, even though it's not on water is running through it

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. Any idea the approximate cost to fix it, if I did it myself? After checking our home warranty, this should be covered (we added the pool as part of it). The service call fee is $100. Just trying to weigh the cheapest alternative - trying to fix it myself which would definitely be a learning curve or calling them.
    David McCoy
    11K gal, IG fiberglass, Hayward self-priming pump, Pentair FNS Plus filter DE filter, Polaris cleaning robot, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

The shaft seal is less than $10.00 and a new volute o ring is a couple of bucks. As long as the impeller is okay not warped. There might be video on how to replace on you tube.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kadavis View Post
    The shaft seal is less than $10.00 and a new volute o ring is a couple of bucks. As long as the impeller is okay not warped. There might be video on how to replace on you tube.
    Thanks again. Are these parts I should be able to get at my local pool store?

David McCoy

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kadavis View Post
    I was able to find some how to videos online and take it apart. One of the seals was definitely cracked. I'll check with my local pool store tomorrow and see if they have the parts. If not, I guess online is my next best bet? Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

David McCoy