Am I damaging my pool?

Jun 9, 2016
Newburgh NY
Our pump isn't turning on without us using a screwdriver to get the propeller going. Then it runs fine. We assumed it was a capacitor. We then noticed bubbles in the water and return jets sputtering. We checked for leaks and changed the o ring in the basket. No change. We called a pool service to check it out. On the day of the appointment the technician called me and said he remembered our pool from the recent sand change he did for us and he didn't want us to pay for another service charge when he had already told my husband our filter and pump were very old and should be replaced. The sand filter is also not big enough for our size pool.

he believes it's a wiring issue, not just the capacitor. And the air leak is also bc of the age of the equipment. He explained why, but I honestly didn't know what he was talking about bc I'm not very knowledgable about pool.

my question is... are we harming the pool by continuing to manually get the pump running? And is there any long term damage from air in the system somewhere?

One ne other question... when I pour bleach in the pool, is there a way to do it so the liner is not faded or compromised? There seem to be new white spots on the floor of the pool since using bleach. Thanks!

You are not harming the pool in any way, but that pump motor is going to die sooner or later.

If you are pouring slowly over the return jet (like we recommend) and maybe running a quick brush across the bottle, there will be no fading.

How big are these spots?

They used the packets of granules, so that makes sense. Are the pump and filter, do most people replace them when they die? I'd like to try and make it as long as possible (lots of new house expenses) but I don't want to cause additional damage to the pool in any way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.