Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I damaging my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I damaging my pool?

Our pump isn't turning on without us using a screwdriver to get the propeller going. Then it runs fine. We assumed it was a capacitor. We then noticed bubbles in the water and return jets sputtering. We checked for leaks and changed the o ring in the basket. No change. We called a pool service to check it out. On the day of the appointment the technician called me and said he remembered our pool from the recent sand change he did for us and he didn't want us to pay for another service charge when he had already told my husband our filter and pump were very old and should be replaced. The sand filter is also not big enough for our size pool.

he believes it's a wiring issue, not just the capacitor. And the air leak is also bc of the age of the equipment. He explained why, but I honestly didn't know what he was talking about bc I'm not very knowledgable about pool.

my question is... are we harming the pool by continuing to manually get the pump running? And is there any long term damage from air in the system somewhere?

One ne other question... when I pour bleach in the pool, is there a way to do it so the liner is not faded or compromised? There seem to be new white spots on the floor of the pool since using bleach. Thanks!
    18x36 inground vinyl. 26,000 gallons. Hayward s200 sand filter. T100. Southern NY (Hudson Valley)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I damaging my pool?

You are not harming the pool in any way, but that pump motor is going to die sooner or later.

If you are pouring slowly over the return jet (like we recommend) and maybe running a quick brush across the bottle, there will be no fading.

How big are these spots?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The spots are very large. When we bought the house last year, they were there but I don't think as many as there are now.
    18x36 inground vinyl. 26,000 gallons. Hayward s200 sand filter. T100. Southern NY (Hudson Valley)

4. Back To Top    #4

I would guess they are from someone throwing solid chemicals into the pool and them sitting on the bottom.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

They used the packets of granules, so that makes sense. Are the pump and filter, do most people replace them when they die? I'd like to try and make it as long as possible (lots of new house expenses) but I don't want to cause additional damage to the pool in any way.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd like to try and make it as long as possible (lots of new house expenses)
    Alternatively, find cheap used stuff on Craigslist for a temporary fix.It might get you going for a few years until cash flow improves.
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you for your input!