Working my wave through this.....

First off, Hello! :wave:

I have already learned a great deal from reading all the great information on here. Long story short, Pool turned to yuck over winter. Did a %95 drain and fill. Pool was damaged over the winter so had to patch 2 great big tears at the outlet and return holes. HH-66 is great stuff, but I still have some leaks,working on getting the seams where I patched sealed (I used an old liner (intex) to patch. I added a thru the wall skimmer and and return (Heyward) thanks to information on this forum. I got an Intex Sand Filter and Pump (2600 GPH) and hard plumbed it, I'm not a plumber but I think I did a decent job!

Even though my patches still have a little leak the pool is holding nicely and I was able to get it filled and am using my filter and pump. For testing I'm using a Taylor 2006 (I used to have a C, but it was old plus was placed a little too close to my grill last year :( ).

So here is the first picture, brace yourself. You may die a horrid death by looking at this. But I warned you....:p

Here I've drained the pool and got the majority of the leaves that fell into the pool out. I like tea, but not maple leave tea in murky, algeic (is that at word, lol) water. You can see my incomplete patch work on the inside of the pool. Since this pic I finished brushing the walls.

pool1.jpg

Here was a pic from Thursday. Overnight Storms helped add 3 inches of water to my pool (I wasn't done filling).

pool2.jpg

Very, Very Green.

After I got home from work yesterday evening after I got the pool where I could start filtering the water I started testing and treating.

Time Date PH TA FC CC TC CYA Notes
12A 6/24/2016 8 775 0 0 0 0
1A 6/24/2016 7 550 to 575 0 0 0 0 Approxmiately 45 minutes after adding 3 quarts of MA
10:30A 6/24/2016 7 525 0
12:30 6/24/2015 7.2 Added 3 Quarts of 10% Bleach

When I first Tested (About 12 AM) My Ph was 8 and my TA was 775. I added 3 Quarts of MA. After about 45 minutes to an hour I retested, my PH was at 7 (it may have been slightly lower, the tint of the test was yellow). I had incorrectly assummed a capacity of 5200 Gallons. After measuring my average water depth (38 inches) it's more like 4800 gallons. I figured that would go up during the over night anyway. At 10:30 this morning my PH was still at a 7 my TA lowered a bit more to 525.

I vaccumed a little of the bottom of the pool, but didn't get a lot but I think it helped. I brushed as well to keep things stirred up. I backwashed once. I used recirc to help aerate the pool (this helped a lot as you can see in my last test). I went ahead and added 3 quarts. I know, I know I shouldn't have added that much, but I was getting ready to leave for work and won't be off until after 9 tonight. So I figured getting FC upto 16 would somewhat balance things out since I couldn't be there to baby it.

If I have time tonight I'm gonna swing by Menards to get some CYA gotta get that bad boy up to 30 at least (there the only ones other than a pool store that have it around here!)

Here's a pic right before I left for work:

pool3.jpg

Already looking a heck of a lot better just in the 20 minutes I added the 10% bleach. Cloudy, yes, but not as Green!

Okay, I do have some questions. Should I shoot for a 30ish CYA or go higher to like a 40? For the time being I know will be loosing some CYA, probably not gobs to the small leaks I have yet to resolve. I got some stuff thats supposed to help seal seams. I hoping to get water clearer to see exactly where along in the patching water is getting through (It the Blue Flexible sealer made by Anderson that was recommened in posts from a few years ago on here is how I discovered the stuff).

Also I already understand for the SLAM procedure once I have the CYA I need to maintain a FC level of 12(30 CYA) or 16(40 CYA).

Regards,

Patrick

Welcome to TFP :)

You're doing great... start CYA at 30 FC 12 for your SLAM, you will use less bleach and be faster :)

once you start the SLAM only test FC and CC until you pass the OCLT below

I hope this helps :)

Update: Working my way through this.....

Update:

Water still very cloudy. Doing lots of brushing. I expect it to be this way for a few days. As far as the SLAM things are going well. Last night when I tested my FC an hour after adding the bleach it tested at 27. I'm thinking that I picked the wrong spot in the pool. Before I had tested with 0 FC and .5 CC. I waited until afternoon to test. FC was 0 and CC was .5. I was adding more water at the time. I also Added CYA to a Sock and put it in front of a return. It was dissolving nicely! I presumed CYA was going to be 30 based on Poolmath so I was shooting for a FC target of 12. I had to leave afterwards and just now got home so I have no Idea if I hit my target. After I got home I tested and had a FC of 6.5! and a CC of .5.

Time Date PH FC CC
1 PM 6/25/2016 0 0.5 Added CYA and added 2 quarts plus just a touch more.
6:30PM 6/25/2016 7.2 6.5 0.5 Waiting 48 hours to measure CYA, Disolving quite well. Have 6.5 FC after a few hours in direct sunlight.
I was glad to see a FC level of 6.5! For 4800 Gallons I need to add 1 quart 2 oz, for 5000 gallon I need to add 1 quart 3 oz. I'll guess on those 3 ounces, lol.

Re: Update: Working my way through this.....

Got around late Saturday morning to test my water and I was sitting at a PH of 7.4 and a FC Level of 8.5. I did not test CC. Water is still cloudy. I spent Friday Evening sweeping and vacuuming the pool. My wife came out and I pointed out one of the resident frogs that's been living around the pool. They like to hang out around the top ledge. She came over and decided it would be good to take a picture of it before heading to work (she was already in her scrubs). Right as she took the picture the frog decided to jump at her landing on her shirt and fell off on to the grass, she screamed. Oh my laughed by butt off! :laughblue:

In other news I've managed to do the Maintain portion of my SLAM. Even though the Water is cloudy, it's blue :), that is until I sweep, lol. I've stayed around 12 to 13 PPM throughout the Afternoon. We had a thunderstorm come through that added an 1 inch of water to the pool. We were leaving so I added approximately 2 pints of bleach to the water till I got back. I did add some when I got back, it was around half a pint I believe. I can't remember if I tested or not, lol.

I just tested before posting and my FC 13.5 and my CC .5. I really really really need to tear down the out of the pool portion of my ladder so I can move the inside part so I can get to the underneath. I'm sure there's lots of stuff under there !

LOL poor wife but still funny!

Yeah lets get that ladder out of there. Have some bleach ready because it will stir some stuff up!

Mix up some 50/50 bleach water in a spray bottle to help clean it.

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.