Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breakpoint chlorination

1. Back To Top    #1

Breakpoint chlorination

I have a 25,000 plaster pool with attached spa. This year since opening I can't get much of a free chlorine reading. I use the bio guard test kit but I did just buy the Taylor 2600. If the free cl test sat, it would eventually get fairly pink. The guy at the pool store told me just to walk away from the test and come back in 15 minutes. After doing some research I think I have a high combined chlorine. I shock with 5 gallons of liquid shock Monday night. Tuesday am I was registering adequate free but by the afternoon it was low again. The test at the pool store showed .5 free chlorine, and 2.5 total chlorine. It is calling for me to add nine bags of burnout 73. My cya is 35. Everything else is good. The water is clear but the hot tub does smell when it's running. Advice?
    Thanks
    Lori

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Breakpoint chlorination

There is a tab at the top of this page where you need to start. It is called Pool School and it will answer all of your questions. It will be confusing at first, but reread it over and over and it will begin to make sense.

Do not trust the pool store. For example, letting the sample sit for 15 minutes is horrible advice. That Taylor 2600 is a good kit, trust your results.

The first thing you need to do is an OCLT to see if you have nasties in your water (I suspect that you do).

Post a full set of numbers here and we can help
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Lori,
    you have a good test kit in the 2006.

If you are loosing FC quickly, which you seem to be, and have high CC, which you do, then you are verge of an algae outbreak. Since your water is still clear, it wont take you long to fix it.
    Here are SLAM instructions. With emphasis on the M for Maintain.
    Trouble Free Pool

And Pool Math
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

and here are TFP recommended levels for your pool.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

I knew having the sample sit was bad advice. I am going to take your suggestion on the pool school and am research the test you talked about.
    thanks
    lori

- - - Updated - - -

When testing free cl and adding the fas/dpd titrating agent, the sample turns clear but then gets slightly pink again. Do I keep adding a drops till this stops?
    thanks
    lori

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Lori,
    no. Dont keep adding drops. When it goes clear, then thats the end of the FC test.

When you test for CC's you need to add the R0003 immediately (or within a 1/2 minute), of the FC test.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks so much Dave!

7. Back To Top    #7

You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori5548 View Post
    Thanks so much Dave!
    Divin Dave,

8. Back To Top    #8

Free CL .5
    CC 2.0
    TA 120
    CA 195
    CYA 48
    advice on how much to shock? I have a bunch of burnout 73 that I would like to use.
    thanks, lori
    20x40 25,000 gallon gunite w/attached spa caretaker system stayrite system 3 filters Hayward Lxi heater Taylor 2600 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

What is your CH? That burn out will add calcium and may cloud up the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Calcium is 195
    20x40 25,000 gallon gunite w/attached spa caretaker system stayrite system 3 filters Hayward Lxi heater Taylor 2600 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

OK.

We do not "shock" our pools. You need to use PoolMath and follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

So using pool math I put in 6 bags of 73 triclor and woke up to 1 free chlorine and 7 combined. What next?

14. Back To Top    #14

That makes me suspect that you really have CYA in the water ....how did you get those numbers?

You need to keep adding chlorine, and I would suggest switching to liquid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

So I'm at a loss. Retested now numbers inverted. FC 7 CC .5. CYA 39. Only thing I added since this am was 10ml algecide. I have had trouble with pink slime last couple summers late in summer.

16. Back To Top    #16

Just tested again. Numbers inverted again. 1.0 FC 6 CC has anyone seen this before? This has been happening at the pool store as well using the bioguard testing.

17. Back To Top    #17

Lori, part of the problem may be that you're combining chemicals and pool care methods. Applying algaecide is not part of the SLAM instructions, so it's very possible the elevated CC is from the chlorine destroying the algaecide. At the same time, the algaecide you added may have added metals to the water (copper), none of which are good. SO now would be a good time to trust your K-2006 test kit and the SLAM page exclusively. The SLAM instructions will work, but you have to be consistent and patient. When it comes to algae, there are no overnight/quick fixes. Just stick to the regular bleach and everything else on the SLAM page. Very important .... maintain that SLAM FC level and test frequently to ensure you do so. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Your last recorded CYA was 40, so your SLAM FC level is "16".
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

18. Back To Top    #18

How long do I swirl the 0870 powder? The longer I swirl the darker it gets. During slam do I add bleach during day when sun is out?

19. Back To Top    #19

Do you use the speed stir or manually swirl? When you are testing FC, you keep swirling the powder and adding drops while counting until it goes clear. That's where the speed stir really comes-in handy so you have one hand free. For the bleach - yes, you add anytime day or night as required to "maintain" that FC of 16.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

20. Back To Top    #20

What is speed stir vs manual?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast