hgiljr

Jul 13, 2015
Miami, Fl
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello all. I have been doing my own pool tests for about a month. I do have a salt water chlorinated pool about 12k gallons. I did my test today and decided to do a pool store test to compare. Results about average between both:

Ph 7.8
Alkalinity 60 ppm
CYA 58ppm
copper .3ppm

these are the numbers that concern me. I know to lower PH I will use muriatic acid. To increase Alkalinity I will use baking soda but unsure what to use to increase CYA and decrease copper. I have been trying to stick to the BBB method, have yet to use borax but have been using baking soda. Any suggestions what to use for CYA and copper that would be great.

I have already added added the baking soda today and plan on adding the 4-5 cups of muriatic acid tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Yea, we really try to shy away from the BBB name because folks feel,they gotta go out and buy all three. Seldom are,they used.

Instead of an average, can you post your results please.

pH could come down a bit and the only way to remove metals is to do a water exchange.

As most folks in So FL have them, is your pool covered by a screen enclosure?

Pool is not covered with any screen enclosure.

My numbers are:
PH 8
Alkalinity = 70PPM
CYA = 60ppm

My kit does not have for copper, so I cannot test that one. Since I added the baking soda already I will check what it reads tomorrow. As for stabilizer, any specific brand I should get or the one the pool store has is good enough? Thanks again

Liquid is usually only at the pool store and it is much more expensive than the granules. At the big box stores they keep it in the pool section. Look for stabilizer on the label.

amazon had 4lb granules for $ 13 last I bought.

you can make liquid cya out of your granules by putting them in a sock tied off then submerged
in a 1 gallon bucket of hot tap water...let it sit for 30-60 minutes then squeeze the now jelly
like cya.

you'll have it all dissolved in about ten minutes.

be ready to vacuum any possible left over white granules as you pour it in in front of the deep end return jet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick question... I was reading through the water chemistry kit handbook and it says CYA should be in ideal range of 30-50, being that I'm at 60ppm should I leave as is? I was going through what pool store test told me which for them ideal is 75-100ppm. Thoughts? Let me know. Thanks

hgiljr
... 60 is a do-able level for your climate... it is what I have mine set to in order to buffer the chlorine loss during the day (and it works).
You will have to maintain a bit of a higher chlorine level at that CYA level, but it does have it's advantages in a hotter climate.

oops... sorry... didn't notice that you have a SWG.... bump your CYA.

Thanks. I'm all about going with what you guys say. Just the learning curve. :)
is there a page here that gives the recommended ideal settings, which chemicals can be done together and which need to be apart, etc... Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.